The ‘Tide Pod Challenge’ has been one of the most dangerous crazes this year that has seen teens worldwide attempting to eat laundry detergent capsules.
Many of the teens trying the challenge filmed their attempts and uploaded them to YouTube .
But it seems the site has had enough, and has announced that it will be removing the videos.
In a statement released to Fast Company , a spokesperson for YouTube said: “YouTube’s Community Guidelines prohibit content that’s intended to encourage dangerous activities that have an inherent risk of physical harm.
“We work to quickly remove flagged videos that violate our policies.”
In 2018 alone, there have been 39 cases of teens eating laundry pods reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centres, according to Time .
And Procter & Gamble, the firm behind the Tide Pods, says it has been working with social media sites to remove harmful content.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Procter & Gamble said: “Laundry pacs are made to clean clothes. They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance, even if meant as a joke.”
What is the ‘Tide Pod Challenge’?
The craze began last year when a student filmed himself munching on Tide Pods, and over the last month, the ‘Tide Pod Challenge’ has taken off.
Teens are seen popping them in their mouths, eating the liquid and even cooking with the tablets.
The lure is thought to be down to aesthetic. Detergent capsules, and Tide Pods particularly, look fairly enticing.
The colourful liquid makes the pouches resemble sweets, and the soft casing feels nice and squidgy.
Now, doctors, parents, and manufacturers are begging youngsters to stop eating laundry liquid, which is poisonous and poses serious health risks if ingested.
Dr Alfred Aleguas Jr, managing director of the Florida Poison Information Center in Tampa, told USA Today that the fad may even be ‘life-threatening’.
According to Dr Aleguas Jr, swallowing even a small amount of the highly-concentrated detergent found in pods can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Enough of it would lead to breathing difficulties – and possibly worse.
"Ending up in the emergency room is no joke," he said.