Canberra Olympic fire warning shot and end Tuggeranong's unbeaten run

Tuggeranong’s AIsosa Ihegie and Canberra Olympic’s Nathan Megic compete for the ball.

Canberra Olympic have sent a warning shot to their rivals after the reigning league winners brought Tuggeranong United's unbeaten run to an end on Sunday.

Olympic lost some of their best players in the off-season and were stunned on the opening day by the Monaro Panthers, but they've have roared back to life.

Frank Cachia's men have won four in a row in all competitions and established themselves once again as premiership contenders with a gutsy 3-1 win against Tuggeranong at Greenway.

Olympic are gunning for a third straight league title and looking to redeem their upset loss to Belconnen United in the grand final last year.

Cachia said his men still have a long way to go but praised their effort for getting the job done in tough conditions.

"That was a really good one, I thought we played as well as we’ve played all year and it's a big win in the scheme of things," Cachia said.

"You never want to question the Monaro game, they had a plan and rolled us, but it was really important we bounced back and we've now won four straight.

"We're back beating the top of the table teams and I think we’re getting there, the rest of the competition knows we’re up and about again."

Cachia admitted it was satisfying to prove the doubters wrong and said some young players have "really stepped up" in the absence of four starters.

"According to a lot of punters we’re the luckiest team to win eight of the last nine trophies," he said.

"We're still a little way away from a full squad, probably three to four weeks, but I said after the game it was a really commendable effort from the boys fighting for positions, they really stood up.

"Nobody is going to walk back into the side because everyone has dug deep in and done well when people were questioning their character, they've got the rewards for it."

Tuggeranong were on the board first through Dani Barisic after he scored his second goal in as many games, slotting home a Aisosa Ihegie through ball on 16 minutes.

Olympic responded just two minutes later with an incredible long-range goal from man-of-the-match Daniel Colbertaldo to ensure the scores were level at the break.

In a back and forth contest the deadlock was finally broken by Michael John who confidently beat United goalkeeper Rory Larkin in the 78th minute.

Olympic midfielder Robbie Cattanach put the icing on the cake with cool finish in injury time and lift his men to third on the ladder.

Tuggeranong's four-game winning run in the league was brought to an end but they remain on top of the table.

Meanwhile, the Monaro Panthers slumped to a third consecutive 3-0 loss as they proved no match for the Cooma Tigers.

Source: Read Full Article