Carlos Beltran announced his retirement on Monday, a day after not ruling out the possibility of managing the Yankees next season.
“There’s a lot of candidates out there,” Beltran said on Sunday, before his retirement became official. “If I make the decision to stay home, then we can talk about it.”
Beltran has long expressed a desire to manage after his playing days were over, although it’s unclear if he would want to start immediately after he stopped playing.
After winning the World Series with the Astros earlier this month, Beltran was asked if he wanted to manage and he said: “We’ll see. It’s on my bucket list.’’
General manager Brian Cashman said he would consider candidates without managerial experience and emphasized he’s looking for someone who communicates well with the players.
Beltran was immensely popular throughout his playing career — including his two-plus seasons in The Bronx.
The Yankees have interviewed bench coach Rob Thomson and former Indians and Mariners manager Eric Wedge to replace Joe Girardi. Cashman said on Sunday he wouldn’t conduct any interviews while at the GM meetings in Orlando this week, so the process won’t continue until Thursday at Yankee Stadium.
Aaron Boone, who also hasn’t managed or coached, could be another candidate and David Cone and John Flaherty have both expressed interest in the job.
The 40-year-old played 20 seasons in a career many expect will land him in the Hall of Fame.
On Sunday, at Jorge and Laura Posada’s fundraiser to raise money for Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, Beltran hinted that he might not play again.
“At some point, you’ve got to make a decision,” Beltran said. “Because you cannot play this game forever.”
Beltran and his wife, Jessica, also have been involved in the recovery effort for Puerto Rico, with Beltran donating $1 million.