Slater announces representative football retirement after Origin

Billy Slater has announced he will retire at the end of the 2018 State of Origin series.

Billy Slater is the latest Queensland great to announce his departure from representative football, announcing on Tuesday that this year's State of Origin series would be his last.

"I just feel it's time," Slater said. "I'm 35 this year. I've been through a fair bit. This will be the 15th year I play for Queensland. Honestly, I just think it's time."

The 34-year-old fullback isn't sure if he will continue playing in the NRL for the Melbourne Storm next year but "it just feels like time" to call an end to his Origin career.

"It's been a great ride," Slater said at a packed press conference flanked by coach Kevin Walters.

"If you asked me as a little boy what I wanted to do and it was play for Queensland and Australia and be like Allan Langer.

"I was able to fulfil a childhood dream."

Slater's looming exit follows the shock retirement from the Origin and Test arena of Cameron Smith this month while long-time rep teammates Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk stepped away from Queensland and Australian honours last year.

Slater made his Origin debut in 2004 and has been a major cog in the all- conquering Maroons machine that has taken out 11 of the last 12 series.

More to come

with AAP

Source: Read Full Article