Vincent Kompany addresses his Man City future now he is No4 centre-back

Vincent Kompany has no intention of turning his back on Manchester City — even though his days of being first-choice are over.

Blues’ captain Kompany will be 33 when his contract expires next year, and he has fallen behind John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and new £57million signing Aymeric Laporte in the central defensive pecking order.

The injury-plagued Belgium international has suffered two more of his significant lay-offs this season but insists he will not be leaving in the summer, despite concerns over his long-term fitness.

“That’s not even a debate,” said Kompany.


“If you’re fit, you have many options and a lot of clubs. If you’re not fit, you don’t have many opportunities and not many clubs.

“If I stay fit, I’ll want to play football at City. And if I’m not fit, I won’t have other options.

“I don’t know if I could muster the same motivation elsewhere.

“It may seem that I’m high maintenance, but I’m a good professional and I work so hard on my return. The longer I’m available, the more chance I’ll get to play more matches.”

Kompany started Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Burnley after being rested for Pep Guardiola’s Quadruple chasers’ 3-0 win over West Brom three days earlier.

The centre-back also has sights on this summer’s World Cup, and admits a talent-packed Belgium side must finally live up to expectations in Russia after disappointing in the last two major tournaments.

The Belgians and England have been drawn in the same first-phase group, and Kompany said: “The opportunity for us is great — but we still have work to do.

“In 2014 and 2016, we had a right to failure, because we had a young team. But over the next few years we can’t use that excuse.

“We need to be tactically stronger, which will help us physically and technically.”

Will Manchester City win the Quadruple this season?

8000+ VOTES SO FAR

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/possibility-manchester-city-summer-exit-11975035

Leave a Reply