Lucasfilm wants to give Solo: A Star Wars Story's Donald Glover a Lando Calrissian spin-off… someday

You may have heard that Lucasfilm is working on a Solo: A Star Wars Story spin-off for Donald Glover’s smooth-talking smuggler character Lando Calrissian. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s not necessarily true.

The confusion started when English-language publications started running quotes from Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy originating from the French magazine Premiere, in which she apparently said “the next spin-off will be dedicated to Lando Calrissian”.

Fans were naturally excited, likely because Glover’s performance has been singled out in early reviews as one of the highlights of Solo. The trouble is that Kathleen Kennedy’s actual quotes were lost in translation.

Asked if a Lando movie really had been confirmed, a Lucasfilm spokesperson told Entertainment Weekly: “No. Premiere has now corrected their article. It was a misunderstanding. She said it’s something she’d like to do one day in the future.”

Well, that’s a downer. But while a Lando movie might not be coming yet, Solo star Alden Ehrenreich recently confirmed that he has signed with Disney for up to three movies total.

Whether a proper sequel ever happens will largely depend on the box office haul of Solo, as director Ron Howard indicated this week: “I think the fans are going to define all of that.

“I mean, I think that Lucasfilm and Disney in casting actors, and particularly younger actors, want to see what happens and build upon that.

“Certainly, they want the commitment from the young actors, but there are no concrete plans. I think these are exactly what they’re meant to be, or what they’re designed to be. They’re single movies exploring the galaxy; but of course, as a company, I think they’re going to be very interested to see how people respond to it and take it from there.”

Solo: A Star Wars Story will be released in cinemas on May 24 in the UK and May 25 in the US. Book tickets now.

Source: Read Full Article