Earlier this week, Kelly Clarkson dashed the hopes and dreams of American Idol fans, and now Simon Cowell has gone and done the very same.
ABC announced it will be bringing the singing talent contest to its network during the 2017/18 TV season, but Cowell told Extra that he “was asked to do it, and the answer is no”.
Si-Co, who left Idol in 2010, added: “I have no interest. My memories are when we first started. It was a different time with Randy [Jacks[Jacks[Jackson]r[Seacr[Seacrest]Abdul[Abdul[Abdul]re-create that.”
As mentioned above, Kelly Clarkson also shot down rumours of an American Idol comeback after serious rumblings that ABC was courting the show’s original winner to become a judge on its big revival next year.
However, the ‘Catch My Breath’ singer has ignited another reality TV war by signing up as a coach for The Voice US‘s spring 2018 season alongside originals Blake Shelton and Adam Levine.
“I’m so excited to join The Voice at NBC,” Clarkson said in a statement on Thursday (May 11). “We’ve gone back and forth about a role as a coach for years, but the timing hasn’t been right until now.”
© Getty Images
The Alphabet Network confirmed on Tuesday (May 10) that it had outbid Fox to bring the biggest-ever US talent show back to TV — with some big changes.
Early reports have ABC moving Idol’s auditions base to one of its Disney theme parks, rather than having the cast and crew go city-to-city to evaluate the year’s contestant.
Want up-to-the-minute entertainment news and features? Just hit ‘Like’ on our Digital Spy Facebook page and ‘Follow’ on our @digitalspy Twitter account and you’re all set.