The massive search for the 10-year-old boy who vanished while swimming off Long Beach, Long Island, was suspended Wednesday after authorities combed through the area for 22 hours and found no sign of the child, officials said.
The boy, who is now feared dead, had been swimming unsupervised with his 11-year-old brother near Ocean Beach Park off Edwards Boulevard around 6 p.m. Tuesday before they became separated, according to officials.
“Two of them apparently try to leave the water,” Long Beach Police Department spokesman Lt. Eric Cregeen told Newsday. “The 11-year-old got out, turns around and sees his brother was having trouble and was submerged.”
Nassau County authorities alerted the US Coast Guard, which initially dispatched a crew in a 29-foot response boat to assist in the search along with a helicopter.
During the multi-agency rescue effort, which included the NYPD’s Aviation Unit and Dive Unit, searchers covered more than 310 nautical miles for a total of 22 hours, the Coast Guard said.
According to local reports, the siblings, both of Hempstead, went to the beach without their parents.
There were no lifeguards on duty at the time of the incident, officials said.
The Coast Guard said in a statement that it “always urges swimmers to always remain where lifeguards are present.”
“Be aware of the current sea conditions, as well as any weather that is forecasted. The ocean is powerful and can overtake even the best swimmers.”
Source: Read Full Article