Bodies of dad and five kids killed in Welsh farm fire still remain in fire-ravaged building

THE BODIES of five kids and their dad killed in a devastating fire still remain in the gutted farmhouse, police said.

David Cuthbertson, 68, perished along with five of his children, aged between four and 12, as the fire ravaged their home in Llangammarch Wells, Powys, Wales.

 It could take weeks for police to recover the bodies of a dad and five children from the smouldering shell of a house

The brave dad lowered three of his children to safety and they ran in their pyjamas to a neighbour's house to raise the alarm last Monday.

Police have now revealed the recovery process to remove the bodies could take several weeks because of the devastating damage caused to the farmhouse.

Speaking at a press conference, Chief Inspector Martin Slevin said the process would involve at least 40 officers, specialist officers and scientists shifting 260 tonnes of bricks and mortar to gain access.

Chief Superintendent Tony Brown added: "What I can’t do is to put the lives of my officers at risk by them entering an unstable building.

 David Cuthbertson had rushed to save the lives of the children in the home
 The rear of the farmhouse was smouldering a day after the blaze
 Smoke could still be seen rising from the farmhouse more than 24-hours after the blaze broke out
 Chief Inspector Martin Slevin and Chief Superintendent Tony Brown at a press conference

"We have already had a partial collapse in that building. I have given reassurance to the family when we met that we will do it as quickly as possible but it has to be in the safest possible manner.”

Cops also confirmed the three youngsters, aged ten, 12, and 13, who escaped the inferno suffered "significant trauma" but have been released from hospital.

The fire is currently being treated as unexplained and investigators are carrying out a fingertip search at the scene of the blaze to discover what caused it.

 The children were sleeping in the firehouse when the blaze broke out
 Flowers have been left close to the scene as donations pour in to support the family

Chief Superintendent Brown said: “I cannot put the safety of others in danger of that farm house falling down on them and causing further injuries.

“After that we will then have specially trained officers from across the South Wales region in a collaborative effort to recover those deceased.

“In doing so it will mean a finger tip search of the whole of the inside of the building and recovering the items from those buildings being mindful of the investigation but also doing our utmost to find those deceased that remain in the building at this time.”

Emergency crews were scrambled in the early hours of Monday morning as flames took hold of the farmhouse.

 Firefighter David Price, pictured with wife Pia, was the son-in-law of Dave Cuthbertson, who tragically died in the fire
 David Price is now comforting his wife Pia over the tragedy

A firefighter who attended the blaze – David Price, 30 – had been called out to the fire before realising it was the home of his in-laws.

His father-in-law had desperately worked to lower children to the ground from an upstairs window to safety.

But as flames raged through the remote property, he was unable to help five younger children trapped with him.

He is now comforting his wife Pia, 28, who lost her father and five half brothers and sisters in the blaze.

An appeal to raise money for the devastated family has surpassed its original target of £1,000 with donations hitting £15,000.

To make a donation in support of the family, click here.


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4864317/welsh-farm-fire-bodies-still-remain/

Leave a Reply