White House budget director Mick Mulvaney on Sunday defended President Trump’s silence on the sexual misconduct claims against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore, saying the president “doesn’t know who to believe.”
“He doesn’t know who to believe. I think a lot of folks don’t,” Mulvaney said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” adding that the president personally believes the women’s allegations “are credible.”
“He has said that he thinks that the voters of Alabama should decide,” Mulvaney said.” “I think that’s the most commonsense way to look at it.”
Nine women have come forward to accuse the Alabama Republican of sexually harassing or attacking them during the late 1970s, including one woman who said she was 14 and Moore was 32 when he tried to initiate a sexual encounter.
Trump came under criticism last week when he blasted Sen. Al Franken after he was accused of forcibly kissing and groping a woman during a USO tour in 2006, two years before he was elected to the Senate.
Leeann Tweeden, a radio news host and former Playboy model, said the Minnesota Democrat forced himself on her when they were rehearsing a skit and put his hands on her breasts when she was sleeping on a plane.
She released a photo of Franken grabbing her chest.
“The Al Frankenstien picture is really bad, speaks a thousand words. Where do his hands go in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 while she sleeps? ” Trump posted on Twitter after the accusations were revealed.
Mulvaney said the situations involving the two men are different.
“I think one of the significant differences there … is that Franken admits it and Roy Moore denies it. So I do think that puts them in two different categories,” Mulvaney said.
Moore, who is running in a special election on Dec. 12, called the allegations “fake news” and an attempt by establishment Republicans to thwart his campaign.