Beau Marr forked out £400 for new baby clothes because she didn’t want her daughter wearing outfits with maggots on ‘that had come from a dead body’
Beau Marr’s flat has been uninhabitable for two weeks because the housing association hasn’t sent anyone round to do a deep clean yet.
Beau Marr was forced to flee her home with daughter Bonnie after it was infested by flies and maggots
Thousands of flies swarmed the flat when a man living above died and no one noticed
Beau has forked out £400 on new clothes for baby Bonnie
Shocking pictures show maggots crawling over the floor after the insects took over
The mum, 26, started to notice maggots appearing first – before the home in Leeds, Yorks, was infested with thousands of flies.
Shocking pictures show the insects crawling over the floor and worktops after they invaded the flat.
Single mum Beau, who is still on maternity leave, has forked out more than £400 to replace baby clothes, food and an expensive cot.
She fled with five-month-old daughter Bonnie after the insects began crawling all over the floors and beds.
It was then inspectors made the horrifying discovery that the man living directly above Beau had died.
Beau said: “I’m sorry but anyone who has any hygiene is not going to let your child wear clothes that have had maggots on them, that have come from a dead body.
“I think I have probably spent £400 just on clothes on food, that’s without even going into the flat and trying to see what is salvageable and what isn’t.
“It was like something out of a horror film, I have never seen anything like it. It shook and shocked me.
“I get up everyday and burst into tears thinking I have to go through the trauma yet again.
“If anyone else went through this situation I would be trying to help them.”
Housing association The Sanctuary Group said it was made aware of the man’s death on August 2, but it is believed he died at an earlier date.
A neighbour had raised the alarm on July 30 after noticing an overwhelming smell coming from the flat above.
Police were called and the resident looked through the letterbox and discovered the “badly decomposed” man.
Beau had to replace all of her daughter’s clothes and cot because of the maggots
The insects had come in through the vents after the man upstairs died
The housing association are now going to deep clean the home
Beau said: “The maggots had come through cracks in the ceiling and because they had, had free rein of the flat they were in the baby’s clothes, my clothes, “We went back on the Saturday to give the flat a clean but it was an absolute state.
“I was trying to clean the best I could but there were cases ready to hatch everywhere you looked.
“After the fumigation, the flat was covered in flies and they were still flies flying in the air.”
The Sanctuary Group claim they were unable to access the home above until police decided a criminal investigation wasn’t necessary.
The deep clean was then dogged by further delays after the dead man’s family chose not to clear his possessions.
Simon Clark, group director of housing at the Sanctuary Group, told the BBC Beau could return home “within a couple of days”.
He said: “Ms Marr will obviously not be expected to pay rent for the period of time she has been unable to live in her home address.
“In addition, she has also now received a payment from Sanctuary to cover her living costs while she has been staying with family and friends.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.