Mum’s nightmare at watching toddler fight for life after choking at nursery

A mum who lived every parent’s worst nightmare after her two-year-old daughter almost choked to death at nursery has praised the staff that saved her.

Eden Langley went into cardiac arrest seconds after she started to choke – but was given the best chance of survival thanks to quick thinking nursery staff .

Realising what was happening, they started performing CPR on the tot as they desperately battled to save her, Hull Daily Mail reports.

The toddler was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary with the piece of sausage she was choking on still stuck in her throat as the first responder and ambulance staff worked to revive her.

Just moments before being taken to theatre for a tracheotomy, hospital staff managed to dislodge the food, and despite being starved of oxygen for 20 minutes, Eden has miraculously made a full recovery.

"I took the call from nursery at work, and a colleague heard and when I said Eden was in an ambulance she just said ‘I’ll take you,’" said her mum, Laura Robinson.

"I was taken to resus where my baby was laid out mottled purple and cold to touch.

"She was being attended to by such a massive team, as I understand it there was a paediatric team, the A&E team and at least one ENT consultant.

"At that point I was just on auto pilot, I was really calm, I didn’t quite know the gravity of the situation.

"But the team prepped her for theatre and we later learned they were seconds away from performing a tracheotomy.

"Fortunately due to the expertise of the staff at the hospital, a manoeuvre managed to dislodge the sausage from her airway, whereby she swallowed then vomited it up.

"She was laid down and they turned her in some way which worked. I expected at that point for her to come round but she didn’t.

"By that point she had been without oxygen for around 20 minutes. She remained unresponsive and did not regain consciousness. The staff were concerned about brain damage and were liaising with ICU in Leeds.

"Thank god, slowly, over a couple of hours she became responsive and started recovering."

Mrs Robinson shared her story on Facebook to raise awareness of the importance of first aid training and to also highlight the dangers of choking.

"Ultimately we want to highlight the dangers of choking and the importance of knowing paediatric first aid and CPR," said Mrs Robinson.

"Choking is the third most common cause of death in the under fives in the UK. If you are a parent or caregiver or have contact with children please read up on this or take a course – some are free at local children’s centres.

"Hopefully you will never be in this position but you might just help to save a life."

Mrs Robinson also wanted to thank the nursery staff, first responder on the scene and all staff at Hull Royal Infirmary who saved her daughter’s life.

She said: "We can’t express enough our heartfelt thanks to Penguin Daycare Nursery where every single member of staff, including domestic, are trained in paediatric first aid. This is not a legal requirement.

"They performed back blows, abdominal thrusts and CPR. When a child’s airway is blocked you have around three to four minutes before brain damage or death occur.

"The CPR has ultimately saved her life and lasting brain damage by continuing to push blood around the body to the brain.

"Thank you for your whole team approach and staying with her throughout the whole ordeal in hospital.

"Thank you to Yorkshire Ambulance Service, and our lucky stars, whose first responder was on the scene within two minutes of the call.

"Thank you to every team and every member of staff at Hull Royal Children’s A&E and the High Dependency Ward for your kindness, compassion and expertise every step of the way. I am thankful beyond words."

The incident happened at around 11.30am, and by 2.30pm Eden was on the ward and able to talk to her parents and was discharged the next day.

Eden is back to her normal fun loving, chatterbox cheeky self, running rings around her parents has no recollection of her ordeal.

Source: Read Full Article

Leave a Reply