Mum's warning as newborn baby fighting for life just hours after being diagnosed with 'common cold'

Two-week-old Finley Eeles developed sepsis – blood poisoning – after becoming ill with a fever and runny nose.

The youngster was sent back home with mum Clare, with paracetamol.

But overnight he became much worse and was "just screaming", Clare said.

She told the Gazette Live: "In the morning he was still screaming and the skin on his hands and arms and legs was quite mottled so I rang 111."

She was told to get her son to the University Hospital of North Tees in Stockton.



He was given antibiotics and kept in hospital for a week as medics tried to treat him.

The 25-year-old said: "At 5am on the Monday they rang and said ‘you had better come in’ because he wasn’t breathing properly,” said Clare.

“When he went to sleep he kept stopping breathing.

“He went in an induced coma at 11am and went straight to the RVI in Newcastle.”

What is sepsis?

Typically, when a person suffers a minor cut, the area surrounding the wound will become red, swollen and warm to touch.

This is evidence the body's immune system has kicked into action, releasing white blood cells to the site of the injury to kill off the bacteria causing the infection.

The white blood cells and platelets form blood clots in the tissues around the cut.

Blood vessels swell to allow more blood to flow, and they become leaky, allowing infection-fighting cells to get out of the blood and into the tissues where they are needed.

This causes inflammation, which appears to us as the red, warm swelling.

When sepsis happens, this system goes into overdrive.

The inflammation that is typically seen just around the minor cut, spread through the body, affecting healthy tissue and organs.

The immune system – the body's defence mechanism – in essence, overreacts, and the result is it attacks the body.

It can lead to organ failure and septic shock, which can prove fatal.

The awful news was broken to her that little Finley had sepsis, which can lead to multiple organ failure and death.

Clare said if she hadn't brought him in when she did "we would have lost him".

But luckily Finley pulled through after being put on life support and given rapid treatment.

Now almost one-year-old he is doing well, and enjoys playing with his older brothers.

Clare has urged parents to look out for symptoms including rapid breathing, mottled skin, high temperature and constant crying.

Yesterday we reported how a gran nearly died and will lose all four limbs after a paper cut got infected.

Marguerite Henderson's family were told to say their goodbyes, while she lay in a medically-induced coma for seven days.

And Duncan Bannatyne’s daughter Abi recently revealed she is lucky to be alive after mistaking deadly sepsis for a hangover.



Source: Read Full Article

Leave a Reply