The latest terror attack in London should convince President Trump to nix his proposed cuts to anti-terror funding for New York and other US cities, US Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said Sunday.
“I can’t figure out why they proposed cutting anti-terrorism funds in the budget, but I certainly hope that the horrible incident that occurred last night and in recent months in Europe will get the president to reverse his decision,” Schumer told reporters, referring to a plan to cut 25 percent from funding for the NYPD and FBI for anti-terrorism training, security and intelligence.
The Trump budget proposal would reduce anti-terrorism funding to New York City by $150 million, according to the senator.
“It is not an accident that — praise God, knock wood — that we haven’t had a successful terrorist attack in New York City since the horrible days of 9/11,” Schumer said, crediting the “the men and women of the FBI, the CIA, the NSA and the New York police department” with preventing additional attacks.
Schumer raised similar objections to budget cuts when President Obama proposed reducing the program, known as the Urban Area Security Initiative, last year.
Schumer also sent his condolences to the people of London and the victims of Saturday’s attack and their families.