Sheep shearer had scalp ripped off after getting hair caught in an electric motor leaving her needing a 20-hour operation to save her life

A WOMAN was scalped after she got her hair caught in an electric motor at a sheep farm.

Casey Barnes was tramping down wool as her shearer father and boyfriend worked nearby when her head of long, curly hair got caught in the belt-driven motor.

The motor ripped off her scalp  from the back of her head to above her eyes and ears in an excruciating accident.

Casey was flown to Sydney from the farm in Gilgandra, New South Wales, to undergo 20 hours of emergency surgery to attempt to save her scalp.

Afterwards, she lay in an induced coma with doctors hoping that limiting her head movement would help the healing process.

More surgeries followed but the medics couldn't save her scalp.

Now, she has to pin her hopes on surgery to attach artificial skin to her head instead.

It’s meant a massive financial hit for the rural NSW family who can’t get paid for the time they aren’t at work sheep shearing.

On top of being unable to work medical bills are piling up, and they are having to stump up for a long stint in Sydney, five and a half hours drive from Gilgandra, as Casey recovers.

Desperate to help, Roseanne — the sister of Casey’s boyfriend Boyd — established a GoFundMe page.


She wrote: “Our darling Casey, who is such an incredible fighter, has a long road to recovery and will be based in Sydney for some time.

“Both Casey and my brother are from country towns hours from Sydney. As a shearer and a roustabout, not only is it bloody hard work, but if it rains you don’t get paid.

“There is no such thing as annual or sick leave in the industry. you don’t work you don’t get paid.

"The money will be used “accommodation, food and travel expenses while family are needing to be based at Sydney to be with our beautiful, brave, happy-go-lucky-giggle Casey."

The fundraising goal is $20,000 (AUS) or £11,500 and in just three days they have already smashed through the target.

In just three days the tally has already topped $32,000, (£18,000) with donations from as far afield as Norway.


A version of this story first appeared on news.com.au.


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesun.co.uk%2Fnews%2F5172713%2Fsheep-shearer-scalp-ripped-off-electric-motor-2%2F&text=Sheep%20shearer%20had%20scalp%20ripped%20off%20after%20getting%20hair%20caught%20in%20an%20electric%20motor%20leaving%20her%20needing%20a%2020-hour%20operation%20to%20save%20her%20life” target=”_blank” title=”Click to share on Twitter
Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5172713/sheep-shearer-scalp-ripped-off-electric-motor-2/

Leave a Reply