STARBUCKS is in hot water with a Colorado customer, who claims a large tea she purchased at one of the chain's coffee houses scalded and killed her dog.
Deanna Salas-Solano, 58, filed a lawsuit against the coffee giant on Friday alleging she and her tragic mutt suffered injuries from a cup of piping-hot tea which had an unsecured lid, KDVR reports.
Salas-Solano said that she visited a drive-thru Starbucks in Denver on September 26, 2015 and bought a grande-sized hot tea.
The £75,000 lawsuit claims that tea spilled from the unsecured lid, onto her body and burned her stomach, legs and lap.
Salas-Solano said she screamed in pain, causing the dog to jump on her lap before he, too, was severely burned by the beverage when it spilled again.
She rushed the dog to an emergency veterinary hospital, but he was unable to be saved and died a “short time” later, the suit said.
Salas-Solano was also treated for severe burns and forced to undergo reconstructive surgery.
The 58-year-old is seeking over £75,000 in damages from the coffee chain.
Starbucks issued a statement Monday refuting Salas-Solano’s allegations.
The company provided footage to KDVR that showed her dog already in her lap as she purchased the tea.
“We have video evidence that clearly contradicts the claims made by the plaintiff and believe they are without merit,” the company said in a statement.
“We look forward to presenting our case in court. While we are sympathetic to Ms. Salas-Solano and the injuries she sustained, we don’t have any reason to believe our partner (employee) was at fault.”
A version of this story originally appeared in the New York Post.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.'