President Trump lauded the measures he included as part of his school safety plan on Twitter Monday and said he didn’t include his earlier stand on raising the age limit to buy firearms because it isn’t getting “much political support.”
“Very strong improvement and strengthening of background checks will be fully backed by White House. Legislation moving forward. Bump Stocks will soon be out. Highly trained expert teachers will be allowed to conceal carry, subject to State Law. Armed guards OK, deterrent! ,” he wrote.
The president made his recommendations to enhance school security Sunday following a series of listening sessions he held since last month’s shooting of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS in Florida by a former student carrying an AR-15 assault rifle.
During one of those meetings, Trump called for raising the minimum age to buy assault-style weapons from 18 to 21, a proposal strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association.
Trump addressed that missing measure from his plan in Monday’s tweet.
“On 18 to 21 Age Limits, watching court cases and rulings before acting. States are making this decision. Things are moving rapidly on this, but not much political support (to put it mildly) .”
About an hour later he returned to the social media site and the weapons debate, warning that if schools are made gun-free zones, “violence” will follow.
“If schools are mandated to be gun free zones, violence and danger are given an open invitation to enter. Almost all school shootings are in gun free zones. Cowards will only go where there is no deterrent!,” he said.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill last week that increased the age limit to 21 to buy firearms in the state, and the NRA quickly sued.
The White House said raising the age limit is a “state-based discussion” and said the issue would be looked at further by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who was picked to head up a task force to come up with school safety solutions.
Source: Read Full Article