The two suspects in the London subway attack that injured 30 people are a refugee from Iraq and a native of Syria — both of whom were fostered by a couple once honored by Queen Elizabeth for their charitable work.
Local media named one of the men as Yahyah Farroukh, 21, who was collared late Saturday outside a fried chicken joint where he worked for nine months in the Hounslow area of west London.
Photos published by The Sun newspaper showed him being captured outside Aladdins Fried Chicken.
“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” he allegedly yelled as undercover cops pinned him, causing a pile of Kit Kats and chocolates to spill out of his bag, the paper reported.
“A forensic team wrapped his arms in plastic up to his biceps and his legs up to his thighs,” a witness told the paper. “He looked like he didn’t speak much English but he was responding to what they were saying.”
Suleman Sarwar, one of the eatery’s owners, said Farroukh “never mentioned anything about ISIS.”
“He seemed very Westernized. He was into American rap music and wore Western clothes like jeans and T-shirts,” he told The Sun.
The other suspect — an 18-year-old arrested hours earlier in Dover, a departure point for ferries to France — was suspected of planting the crude device that partially detonated on the train at the Parsons Green station.
Video obtained by ITV News emerged Monday of the teen, who has not been named, allegedly lugging the bomb around 6:50 a.m. Friday along Vicarage Road in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey.
Police believe he had just left the home of his foster parents, Ronald Jones, 88, and his wife, Penelope, 71, near Heathrow Airport, and was making his way to catch a train to London, where he planned to unleash terror.
A resident caught a glimpse of the suspect – clad in a gray jogging suit and red hat – on his home surveillance system.
“I got chills when I saw him on the footage waltz past my house,” the man told The Sun. “It’s broad daylight, first thing in the morning, and this guy is walking down the road allegedly with a huge bomb in his bag — cool as you like.
“People are popping to the shops, going to work, getting ready for the day ahead,” he said. “Little did they know that this guy is suspected of being doing something so evil as he weaved through them.”
At 8:20 a.m., the “bomb in a bucket” — as it has been dubbed by local media — went off inside a supermarket bag, unleashing a fireball throughout the subway car that sparked a stampede by terrified straphangers.
Both men were held under the Terrorism Act, though neither had been charged as of Monday afternoon.
Local council chief Ian Harvey said he believed the 18-year-old was an Iraqi orphan who moved to the UK three years ago after his parents died.
Asked if he was known to authorities, a spokesman for London’s Metropolitan Police said: “I don’t believe he was,” Agence France-Presse reported.
Harvey said Farroukh was the couple’s former foster child.
According to his Facebook page, Farroukh had moved to the UK from Damascus and has worked for music promoter Dope Diamond Entertainment.
West Thames College in West London said in a statement that Farroukh had attended the college from December 2013 to June 2015.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, but British officials say there is no proof yet that any organized militant group was directly involved, Reuters reported.
Five US and British government sources said it was possible that the attack was somehow “inspired” by ISIS through its internet-based propaganda.
Meanwhile, Britain called Monday for a new security treaty with the European Union after Brexit to try and prevent terror attacks and thwart “ever-growing and increasingly cross-border threats.”
With Post Wires