Bethenny Frankel reveals she had a dangerous allergic reaction after she was accidentally served another diner’s fish: ‘It was traumatic’
Bethenny Frankel shared on Sunday that she had a scary allergic reaction while vacationing with her daughter Bryn in Costa Rica.
In an Instagram video, the 51-year-old former Real Housewives Of New York City star revealed that she had to use her epinephrine auto-injector over the weekend after she was accidentally served fish, which she said she is ‘deathly allergic’ to.
Luckily, the reality star seemed to have made a full recovery and was doing well after her health scare.
Health scare: Bethenny Frankel, 51, revealed on Sunday on Instagram that she had a medical emergency on Saturday while vacationing in Costa Rica after accidentally being served fish, which she is ‘deathly allergic’ to
Bethenny began her TikTok video while riding in the back of a car as she toured Costa Rica. She wore a colorful halter top under a white sweater and had a straw trilby hat with a vibrant striped band on her head.
‘Reminder for those of you with allergies of any kind to be very alert when traveling. I had a scary experience last night,’ she began her video.
‘Last night, my daughter told a server that I am deathly allergic to fish,’ she explained.
Though they ordered off of a vegan menu, which shouldn’t have had any fish, they were accidentally given another diner’s plate, which had fish mixed in.
Whoops! ‘Last night, my daughter told a server that I am deathly allergic to fish,’ she explained. Though they ordered off of a vegan menu, they were accidentally given another diner’s plate, which had fish
Something’s off: She noticed something was wrong when she bit into a ‘vegetable roll’ that had fish in it, but her server seemed ‘scared’ to admit the mistaken delivery
Life-saving medicine: On Twitter, she urged her followers to carry epinephrine auto-injectors, which contain adrenaline, a hormone capable of subduing allergic reactions
She noticed something was wrong when she bit into a vegetable roll and saw that it looked and tasted different than she expected.
She asked the server what was in the role and claimed that they seemed ‘scared’ to tell her after they realized the mistake.
‘So it ended in shots and a medical situation. But please be hyperaware. Carry your EpiPen and tell every person you can how allergic to food you are,’ she urged her followers.
She added that her daughter was ‘concerned’ because it was ‘a lot of responsibility’ as she dealt with her mother’s health crisis and worried about having to administer her EpiPen.
‘My poor peanut was awake all night thinking I wasn’t going to be OK,’ the businesswoman wrote in a caption to her videos.
Heartbreaking: She daughter was overwhelmed with the ‘responsibility of administering the pen’ and worried about her mother all night
Mix up: She clarified to another user that she was diligent about her food, but that it was a mistake on the part of the restaurant staff
No use: In another tweet, she reiterated her distaste for ultra-small clutches and hand bags in which ‘you can barely carry a lip gloss let alone what you really need,’ including an epinephrine auto-injector
Safety first: She reiterated that Bryn was ‘terrified’ while she slept that night and urged her fans to have someone they could contact at all times in case of emergencies
Thankful: ‘Life is precious… . that’s all I know,’ she added in a more philosophical mood
‘It was a crisis. It was a medical emergency with shots and traumatized my daughter,’ she said in a follow-up clip. ‘So please be very safe. Over-protect yourself.’
Bethenny also said she wanted to discuss the issue on her podcast because she had more to say on the matter. She urged her fans to book travel experiences through major hotels, as smaller institutions might not be equipped to deal with health emergencies like hers.
On Twitter, she restated her advice for people with serious allergies to carry epinephrine auto-injectors, which have a spring-loaded needle that automatically injects a dose of the hormone epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) into the body when it’s pressed against one’s skin.
Allergy sufferers are advised to use their injector at the first sign of a reaction.
Solo trip? Bethenny was vacationing in Costa Rica with her daughter Bryn, but it wasn’t clear if she had brought along her boyfriend Paul Bernon
Bethenny shared with a user on Twitter that Bryn doesn’t have serious allergies, though it was still a ‘scary’ night for her as she watched over mother.
She clarified to another user that she was diligent about her food, but that it was a mistake on the part of the restaurant staff.
In another tweet, she reiterated her distaste for ultra-small clutches and hand bags in which ‘you can barely carry a lip gloss let alone what you really need,’ including an epinephrine auto-injector.
‘Life is precious… . that’s all I know,’ she added in a more philosophical mood.
Unaffordable: She mused about creating a charity to help people afford EpiPens. The brand-name medicine has soared to over $700 for a two pack, raising concerns about price gouging
It gets worse: One fan added that the injectors cost ‘a couple hundred dollars’ and ‘shouldn’t have to cost a thing for your kid to be safe,’ to which Bethenny added, ‘Insane and they expire’
The price of the brand-name EpiPen, manufactured by Mylan, has soared in recent years to over $700 for a two pack when bought without insurance, raising concerns about price gouging.
Mylan also makes a cheaper generic version, and other companies make their own even cheaper generics, but most versions still cost hundreds of dollars for two injectors, which may expire before they are ever used.
Bethenny noted the outrageous price for the emergency life-saving medicine in a follow-up tweet.
‘I keep hearing about how expensive epi pens are. I’m going to think about a side charity effort on this topic per bryn,’ she wrote. ‘Militant parents are one thing but kids & teens bear this responsibility & stigma of not being normal & people doubting until something happens.’
One fan added that the injectors cost ‘a couple hundred dollars’ and ‘shouldn’t have to cost a thing for your kid to be safe,’ to which Bethenny added, ‘Insane and they expire.’
Dire straits: Her trip got more tumultuous when she drove through a brush fire and stopped by a pen of cows near approaching flames
In the nick of time: Her driver assured her that a fire crew by the pen would let the cows out if the flames got too close
Bethenny’s Costa Rica trip appeared to be particularly tumultuous, as later on Sunday she shared a short video of herself driving around the Central American country through brush fires.
One video featured her chauffeur driving through clouds of white smoke, and in a second clip the car had stopped by a pen full of cows.
She panned her camera to the side to reveal a brush fire that was approaching the livestock, though a fire crew appeared to be by the pen, and her drive assured her that the cows would be moved if the fire got too close.
Source: Read Full Article