Dec Donnelly says he and Ant McPartlin almost SPLIT last year

Declan Donnelly reveals he almost SPLIT from TV partner of 30 years Ant McPartlin over his drink-drive scandal

  • In an interview with the Guardian Weekend magazine, the presenter said he’d ‘be lying’ if he said he didn’t consider splitting from Ant after the crash
  • Ant was involved in a three-car collision in Richmond and was discovered to be over the limit behind the wheel, which Dec felt was ‘indefensible’ 
  • After the incident, Ant pleaded guilty to drink-driving in April and he received a record-breaking £86,000 fine, as well as a 20-month ban from driving
  • Dec revealed that he was angry with his friend when he heard about the news, but also felt upset on his behalf
  • But the BGT host decided he wanted to focus on getting their relationship ‘back on track’ as he wanted Ant to be ‘healthy and happy’ again
  • e-mail

161

View
comments

Declan Donnelly revealed he considered parting ways with his TV partner Ant McPartlin, 43, after the latter’s drink-drive scandal last year.

The presenter, 43, was speaking candidly in an interview with the Guardian Weekend magazine, which is set to be released on Saturday, when he made the shocking admission.

Ant was involved in a three-car collision in Richmond and was discovered to be over the limit behind the wheel, which Dec felt was ‘indefensible’.


Shocking: Declan Donnelly revealed in an interview with The Guardian on Friday that he almost SPLIT from TV partner of 30 years Ant McPartlin over his drink-drive scandal

Ant pleaded guilty to drink-driving in April and he received a record-breaking £86,000 fine, as well as a 20-month ban from driving.

  • Dani Dyer reveals her mum named her after ‘playboy’ dad… Spider-Man star Tom Holland reveals he still does the dishes… Louise Redknapp, 44, is a dead ringer for Madonna, 60, while… Katie Price sparks concern for her well-being as fans claim…

Share this article

And Dec revealed that he was angry with his friend when he heard about the news, but also felt upset on his behalf.

Discussing his feelings in the aftermath, the BGT host admitted he ‘would be lying’ if he said he hadn’t thought about splitting from Ant, but decided he wanted to focus on getting their relationship ‘back on track’.  


Struggle: Ant was involved in a three-car collision in Richmond and was discovered to be over the limit behind the wheel, which Dec felt was ‘indefensible’

Dec went on to say that he also felt he wanted Ant to be ‘healthy and happy’ again, and so decided not to part ways with him.

The TV duo have shared the stage together for 30 years, and quickly became one of the UK’s most prolific presenters in history.

Admitting that they ‘reassessed their career and relationship’ following Ant’s car crash, the duo realised they had been taking ‘each other for granted’ and had even ‘stopped talking to each other’.

And, of this period, Ant explained: ‘For the first time in many years, all we talked about were deep things like how we felt, and what the future held, and where we were, and all the chaos that has come along, especially for me.’


Candid: The BGT host admitted he ‘would be lying’ if he said he hadn’t thought about splitting from Ant after the incidene, but decided he wanted to get their relationship ‘back on track’

Despite spending much of the year in rehab, Ant is said to have earned £3 million, as his fortune rose from £16.3 million to £19.3 million, it was reported by The Mirror on Friday after looking at newly-filed accounts for his company Teecourt Limited.

March has been quite the month for Ant with the new Britain’s Got Talent 2019 trailer dropping two weeks ago, ahead of the show airing in April.

BGT is just the start of the presenter’s comeback after he stepped down from all his TV commitments for a year after a difficult few months.

The presenter was greeted with a standing ovation from the audience when he returned to filming for Britain’s Got Talent last month.

A source told MailOnline at the time: ‘Going back on stage was really emotional for Ant. He’s delighted to be back with Dec and excited for the BGT series ahead. 

‘The reaction from the crowd today was extremely positive. They gave him a standing ovation.’ 

Ant’s personal issues — which saw him develop a painkiller addiction, end his marriage to Lisa Armstrong and commit a drink-driving offence — saw him sit out the last few episodes of BGT 2018, as well as Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, last spring. 

In August, it was revealed ITV hit show Saturday Night Takeaway, presented by Ant and Dec pair since 2002, has been cancelled until 2020.

During his break from his TV duties, Holly Willoughby, 38, filled in for the star on I’m A Celebrity as she starred alongside Dec, 43, in the jungle.


Triumphant return: BGT is just the start of the presenter’s comeback after he stepped down from all his TV commitments for a year after a difficult few months

Source: Read Full Article