Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Michael and Emily Eavis confirmed that the 2021 festival will not go ahead, saying they would be having another ‘enforced fallow year’.
The iconic festival, which attracts around 200,000 revellers each year, was set to begin on June 27.
A statement read: ‘With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.
‘In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.
‘As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022. We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!
‘We thank you for your incredible continued support and let’s look forward to better times ahead.’
Worryingly, Michael Eavis previously said it would be ‘curtains’ for Glastonbury if the festival did not run in 2021.
He told the Guardian last June: ‘We have to run next year, otherwise we would seriously go bankrupt… It has to happen for us, we have to carry on.
‘Otherwise it will be curtains. I don’t think we could wait another year.’
Taylor Swift, Sir Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar had been set to headline the 2020 festival, which marked Glasto’s 50th anniversary.
No line-up had been announced for the 2021 festival.
Source: Read Full Article