Rock icon Mick Jagger reportedly underwent heart valve replacement surgery in New York this week, days after the Rolling Stones announced that the latest leg of their No Filter Tour would be postponed for the 75-year-old singer to tend to his health.
“I was told he’s fine,” a Jagger source tells PEOPLE. “If it was someone else, they’d need to recover for two weeks but because Mick jumps around and the performances are strenuous, he needed to postpone the tour.”
Billboard was first to report the success of the surgery, known as a transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), with sources telling the magazine that Jagger is “recovering and in great health.”
Sources previously told the Drudge Report on Monday that the operation has a 95 percent success rate and Jagger will return to the stage this summer to resume the tour.
Representatives for the star did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
RELATED: Rolling Stones Postpone Tour for Mick Jagger to Reportedly Undergo Heart Valve Replacement
The band announced the decision postpone their tour last Saturday, saying only that Jagger needed “medical treatment.” Though the release did not specify what the treatment was for, they assured fans that the rocker is “expected to make a complete recovery.”
Jagger tweeted his regrets soon after the announcement was made public.
“I’m so sorry to all our fans in America & Canada with tickets. I really hate letting you down like this,” Jagger tweeted on Saturday. “I’m devastated for having to postpone the tour but I will be working very hard to be back on stage as soon as I can. Once again, huge apologies to everyone.”
The Stones’ No Filter Tour was set to kick off in Miami on April 20.
Fellow Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood revealed in 2017 that he had been diagnosed with a “touch of lung cancer.” He underwent a five-hour operation to remove part of his lung and prepared himself to say goodbye to his friends and family.
“There was a week when everything hung in the balance and it could have been curtains, time to say goodbye,” the father of six said. “I was prepared for bad news but I also had faith it would be okay. Apart from the doctors, we didn’t tell anyone because we didn’t want to put anyone else through the hell we were going through. But I made up my mind that if it had spread, I wasn’t going to go through chemo, I wasn’t going to use that bayonet in my body.”
The following year doctors deemed him cancer-free and he was given the “all clear.”
Source: Read Full Article