The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A bizarre series of explosions in portable toilets is plaguing the US city of Pittsburgh.
In the most recent incident, a construction crew arriving for work at 7am on the morning of Tuesday (November 10) found that their toilet had been blown up.
The city's crack Bomb Squad and Crime Unit say they had determined that that “an explosive device” had been used.
Public Safety Assistant Spokesperson Maurice Matthews told reporters: “When they got on scene they had discovered that the porta-john had evidence of an explosive device that went off inside of the porta-john.”
House-to-house investigations revealed that this latest incident had occurred at around 3:30am.
A homeowner living opposite the scene told police she heard a loud boom that broke a window in her home.
“We got pretty blessed and pretty lucky that no one was injured,” Matthews said at the scene.
Police had brought in dogs to sniff through the toilet wreckage.
There have been at least three portable toilet explosions in the city over the past couple of weeks.
Police are as yet unsure whether the explosions are connected: “That’s part of the investigation — to piece it all together and try to see if everything matches up. It’s still early to tell,” Matthews said.
Exactly a year ago this week, a man was arrested on two charges of felony criminal mischief as well as counts of arson and defiant trespass after several portable toilets were set ablaze in Pittsburgh.
Asked about the fire, which caused $6,400 (about £4,800) worth of damage, 31-year-old Kevin Bankhead told police“I didn’t start it on purpose.”
Witness Mike Davis, who worked near the row of portable loos, told reporters: “That’s a shame. I witness the ones down there getting used quite frequently.”
Source: Read Full Article