Canberra thrash Cooma 7-2 with final five goals coming after red card

Canberra FC have leapfrogged Tuggeranong United into top spot on the ladder and remain the only unbeaten side in the premier league after thrashing the Cooma Tigers on Sunday.

Canberra registered their fourth straight win of the season with an emphatic 7-2 victory at Deakin Stadium, with the final five goals coming after a red card in the 49th minute.

Canberra FC made it four wins in a row after thrashing the Cooma Tigers 7-2.

Man-of-the-match Thomas James netted his first hat-trick of the season, before super-sub Ryan Keir scored two in two minutes at the death.

The score was locked at 2-2 following a bumper first half but when Osman Fofanah was shown a straight red for an ugly challenge on Ian Graham, the contest was over.

Canberra coach Paul Macor said it was "amazing" what his men could achieve when they took their chances.

"It's crazy how the game opens up once you start to take your chances," Macor said.

"They had a couple of injuries in the first half and were down on subs, we ran over the top of them in second half at full speed, I'm very happy with the squad.

"Thomas was exceptional but like I tell the boys, you need to create the chances for him and they did that today, the whole team played exceptionally well."

Canberra have been comfortably the best side in the league after five rounds and Macor said they're still yet to fire on all cylinders.

"We’re not there yet because a few of the boys are still playing on one leg and we have a few to come back, I’d say we’re three or four weeks away," Macor said.

"I'm happy with the way the boys are enjoying themselves, there's a new lease on life at the club this year, last week we won in the last 10 minutes where the Deakin of old would have folded.

"If you keep going to the 90th and minute then anything can happen, they've realised that this year."

Kofi Danning scored in the second half.

Canberra next face a litmus test against the reigning premiers Belconnen United, who saw off the Monaro Panthers 1-0 on Sunday.

"That's going to be a big game for us and we take each team with a grain of salt because any team in this competition can win on their day," Macor said.

An 81st-minute strike from Lucas Maraquis proved enough for Belconnen to take all three points on a boggy pitch at Riverside Stadium.

United coach Peter Mazis said he had "a few more grey hairs" after the close encounter on a poor surface.

"The pitch shouldn’t be allowed and it made things a lot more difficult, it just turned a kick-athon and I'm glad we don’t have to play there every fortnight," Mazis said.

"The game was a lot more direct than normal and we had a couple of chances the first half but missed them and I thought I've seen this movie before.

"But in the second half Marty Raines took control and Lucas managed to tuck one away nicely.

"It was well in hand for most of the game but it's a good relief for everybody and now we can start concentrating on winning games instead of not losing them."


Canberra FC 7 beat Cooma Tigers 2

Belconnen United 1 beat Monaro Panthers 0

Source: Read Full Article