FOOTBALLER Ched Evans tried to sue his defence team for £21million after he was wrongly convicted of rape.
The 30-year-old, who was jailed for five years following his 2012 trial, brought legal action against law firm Brabners for the way they handled his trial.
But the striker, who now plays for League One side Fleetwood Town, has now agreed an out-of-court settlement of around £800,000.
Evans served two-and-a-half years behind bars before his conviction was quashed and he was eventually cleared in a 2016 retrial.
Later that year, he launched a civil case against the law firm and was suing them for lost earnings.
ORIGINAL CLAIM WAS £21MILLION
He was hoping to prove he had been given bad legal advice during the original trial.
A source told The Sun Online the original claim was £21million.
Evans was represented by Matthew Bennett and former Blackburn Rovers winger and ex-England international Stuart Ripley, both at Brabners.
The footballer was on trial accused of raping a 19-year-old woman at a Premier Inn near Rhyl in May 2011.
We are glad that Ched Evans has agreed not to pursue this case, which we believe was entirely without merit.
Evan had admitted to having sex with the woman, but always insisted it had been consensual.
The case was due to be heard in the High Court in London later this month but the law firm said it is "glad" Evans decided to settle.
A source close to the player reportedly said: "There is no jubilation or celebration.
"Ched will never get the two-and-a-half years of his life back that he lost.
'ENTIRELY WITHOUT MERIT'
"However, he now feels like he finally has closure on the matter and he is looking forward to getting his head down and carrying on with his football."
A statement from Brabners said: "We are glad that Ched Evans has agreed not to pursue this case, which we believe was entirely without merit.
"Brabners put forward a strong defence of Mr Evans claim following a thorough process and we were prepared to vigorously defend our handling of the case."
A statement from Evans' team confirmed he launched a case against Brabners.
It said: "In late 2016 Ched began litigation against his original defence team of Matthew Bennett and Stuart Ripley of Brabners LLP for negligent defence.
"On Thursday 4 April 2019 Ched accepted an out of court settlement."
Source: Read Full Article