Portsmouth 0 Sunderland 0 (0-1 agg): Black Cats set up Wembley play-off final after feisty stalemate at Fratton Park

SUNDERLAND escaped a feisty battle at Fratton Park to reach the play-off final.

Chris Maguire's stunning volley at the Stadium of Light, the only goal in 120 minutes of action, was enough to send the Black Cats to Wembley.

It was the perfect revenge for Sunderland who were beaten by Portsmouth in the Checkatrade Trophy final only two months ago.

An excellent defensive display saw Jack Ross’ side earn the right to face either Charlton or Doncaster on Sunday week.
But the fixture was overshadowed by a Pompey supporter appearing to kick Sunderland full-back Luke O’Nien in the second-half after he fell over the advertising hoardings.
He was then pulled away by stewards as Lee Cattermole become embroiled in a heated verbal bust-up with the lout, who could now face a lengthy ban.
Sunderland started brightly and came close to extending their aggregate advantage on three-minutes but Grant Leadbitter’s 25 yard strike sailed just past the post.
It was fast and frantic in front of a sold out Fratton Park and feisty on the pitch with Pompey’s Tom Naylor and the Black Cats’ Maguire both going in the book early.
The home side were pushing forward, Ben Close smashing a 30 yard half-volley well over Jon McLaughlin’s crossbar.
Shortly after, Gareth Evans saw a snap-shot from just inside the box sail high and wide, before some heroic Sunderland defending saw three shots blocked.

Ross’ men had a good chance not long after, Maguire breaking through and lifting over Craig MacGillivray but he slipped as he ran onto the ball and Pompey cleared away.
Pompey had the best chance of the half just before the break, Oliver Hawkins heading back across goal and Evans launching himself with a diving header which went straight at the goalkeeper.
From the resulting corner defender Matt Clarke – who won the club’s player of the season award – nodded against the bar.
Sunderland came out flying in the second-half, Bryan Oviedo whistling a strike narrowly over the bar just a minute after the restart.
Then, Pompey had another golden chance, Lee Brown crossing from the left and Hawkins rose with a thumping header which was tipped behind for a corner.
Kenny Jacket’’s side continued to poor forward, but were struggling to break down a resilient Sunderland defence.

There was more action off the field as Sunderland players clashed with home support

Source: Read Full Article