17 holidaymakers on Zante seriously ill from alcohol mixed with car anti-freeze

Young Brits who ended up in hospital after being given bootleg booze while on holiday in Zante say it "could have killed us."

A total of 17 holidaymakers on the Greek party island were left seriously ill after being given cheap methanol instead of proper alcohol on nights out.

Jack Taylor, a business studies student, said holiday reps had warned them about some bars in the town of Laganas so they avoided those.

He was away with seven other friends from Coventry and all of them ended up in hospital.

"We were violently ill," he told the Sun Online. "It could have killed us."

All were taken to hospital after becoming unwell and had to go to UK hospitals after flying back home.


Methanol is a cheap chemical used to make car anti-freeze.

Rogue bar owners in Greece have been known to use ­methanol, also known as methyl alcohol or wood alcohol, as an alcohol substitute to disguise the fact that drinks have been ­watered down.

The clear fluid, often used in products such as anti-freeze and paint stripper, attacks the optic nerve.

Teaching assistant Lauren Blair, 22, had fading vision and vomited so much she ruptured her gulllet.

She had to go to two Greek hospitals and one in the UK.

She said: “I was so frightened. I thought I was going to die.”

James Rambukpitiya was left with liver damage after a holiday with 11 others from Havering Sixth Form College in Hornchurch, Essex, to celebrate finishing A-levels.

He said: “I felt faint and my limbs shook. Then my vision went blurry."

Last August, Hannah Powell, from Teesside, was on holiday in Zante when she unwittingly drank Vodka that had been laced with deadly methanol.

The 21-year-old was left with kidney failure is now classed as severely sight impaired.

Greek cops have seized counterfeit booze from bars and restaurants.

Source: Read Full Article