BRIT backpackers risked their lives by letting a blue-ringed octopus – with enough venom to kill 26 people – touch their skin.
Ross Saunders claimed he didn't realise that he had caught the "dangerous" animal at the time.
He filmed his antics on Facebook, joking that he had had an "interesting two day introduction to fishing".
His fellow backpacker from Ireland can be seen dangling the octopus above his bare wrist.
Ross appears to joke around, waving his arm before finally letting the animal rest on his skin.
Ross said on Facebook: "Been an interesting two day introduction to fishing.
"Watched two amazing sunsets, saw dolphins and caught a blue ringed octopus, one of the most dangerous animals in the world and didn't even realise!"
THE BLUE-RINGED OCTOPUS
This octopus has blue rings on its yellow body, but the rings only appear when the animal is disturbed, hunting or mating.
Usually the octopus is active at night, spending most of the day hidden.
It's bite is poisonous to humans, with the power to paralyse its victim within minutes.
Experts have said, just more than half a milligram of its venom is enough to kill an adult human.
Its bite is usualy painless, but within minutes the victim will feel tingling and numbness.
Dozens on social media slammed the backpackers for their dangerous stunt, calling them "dumb".
One said: "Wow, this guy could have died so easily."
Another commented: "Can't believe he put that on his arm. If it bites you, it paralysis you and you stop breathing within minutes."
Another wrote: "Enough venom to kill 26 people in minutes, a painless bite until breathing problems set in later."
MOST READ NEWS
LOVE-ALL AT WIMBO! Meghan & Kate are SW19's hot new doubles pairing – but pal Serena loses
SMIRKING RAPISTS Sick sex attackers grin on CCTV after gang raping teenage girl in car park
NUDEFEST 500 descend on UK's biggest naturist event for firewalking, silent disco and yoga
The Australian Institute of Marine Science, said the blue-ringed octopus have live bacteria in its tiny salivary gland which produce chemical tetrodoxin.
It adds: 'This is a strong, fast-acting toxin that paralyses the target by blocking the nerves from transmitting messages.
"This toxin can be fatal; it has known to have caused the deaths of at least three people."
Source: Read Full Article