THE devastated family of a missing mum feared dead after two women's bodies were found in a freezer have today tearfully visited the crime scene.
A 50-year-old and 34-year-old man have been taken in for questioning following the grim find in London on Friday.
One of the bodies found in Canning Town was believed to be Mary Jane Mustafa, a 38-year-old mum of two who vanished mysteriously last May after popping to the shops with just her phone and £3 in her pocket.
Her older sister told the MailOnline today: "It's my baby sister… I can't believe she is dead."
She was seen being comforted by friends and family at the police cordon in Canning Town.
A neighbour at a second property, where a man locally named as Ted Jolly, 50, has been arrested, said he had lived there for over a decade.
Named only as Bud, she said: "Mary Jane always used to be in there, she would always come out his house wearing a night robe.
"She used to give my kids chocolate, she was a lovely woman, a nice woman.
"Last time I saw her she gave the kids some chocolates and that was the last time I saw her, about May last year."
Residents said there were fears more bodies could be in other homes in the area, with one claiming an officer told them there could be more in a fridge in another property.
The mum-of-three added: "I am just shocked that it is her that they found – it makes me feel sick.
"If he (Ted) was involved, I would feel really sick as he used to come in my house once or twice."
She said she heard the man looked "shocked" when he was taken away, adding: "They arrested him, put him in the back of the van and that's it."
The woman described Jolly as a white man, who walks with a limp and drags his right leg.
Friends and family of Mary Jane were seen today comforting each another outside the murder scene in Canning Town.
Among the group were two neighbours who live next to Jolly, thought to have been arrested yesterday.
The two victims found in the Canning Town council flat on Friday are not thought to be related.
As the two arrests emerged, cops were unable to provide more details on the searching of more locations and fears that more bodies may be found.
Do you know the suspect? If so please email [email protected]
Police said they attended the address in Newham, a stone’s throw from London’s Excel exhibition centre, at 11.45am last Friday following “concerns for the welfare of an occupant.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “Officers subsequently gained entry and discovered two bodies dead at the scene.
“The bodies are believed to be those of two females. We are working to carry out formal identification and trace next of kin.”
MISSING PERSONS INQUIRY
The disappearance of Mary Jane Mustafa, originally from Turkish-speaking Lefkosa, Cyprus, sparked a missing persons inquiry last year.
In January, her cousin Ayse Hussain renewed calls for anyone with information to come forward.
She said: “She’s missed her own birthday, her daughter’s birthday and now Christmas.
“I’ve been looking after her kids now and then, and I took her daughter Christmas shopping to keep her distracted. We just say mum has gone to sort herself out and say she’ll be back soon.”
Last night, niece Hazel Ozulku wrote on Facebook: “There is no need to think negative at this point because we still believe she is fine and she will come home.”
Her sister Zeynep Mustafa Sukan wrote: “When are you coming home, sis? I miss you like you wouldn’t believe!”
Forensics officers were yesterday combing the suspect’s ground-floor council flat. The property’s front windows were smashed and had been boarded up.
Local Peter Emenyoun, 48, said: “An officer told my brother-in-law the killer stuffed the women’s bodies in the freezer.”
Ranford Strachan, 85, who lives locally, said the discovery of the bodies was "shameful".
"I want to leave here now… it's a disgrace," he said. "I've never seen this place like this."
In a statement, the Met said: “Post-mortem examinations will be held in due course.
“The investigation is being led by the Homicide and Major Crime Command.”
News of the find was suppressed by police for three days until yesterday afternoon as they carried out a major hunt for the suspect.
But the suspect was still at large last night as homicide detectives finally went public to appeal for information about the brutal murders.
Detective Chief Superintendent Richard Tucker, in charge of policing in the area, said: 'The launch of any murder investigation is naturally of concern to the local community.
“We have borough officers in the area supporting colleagues from the Homicide and Major Crime Command as they investigate the full circumstances.
“A crime scene is in place and we would encourage anyone with information about what may have happened at this premises to contact police on 101, quoting CAD 4303/26APR.'
DO you have a story? Call The Sun on 020 7782 4104, email [email protected], or WhatsApp/text 07423 720250.
Source: Read Full Article