Donald Trump is mocked on Twitter by Iran after missile strikes on US bases

President Donald Trump has been mocked on Twitter by an Iranian official in the wake of the missile attacks on US bases in Iraq.

Iran has launched dozens of ballistic missiles at US targets throughout Iraq, including Erbil in northern Iraq and the al-Assad air base in the west of the country.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard has confirmed it is behind the attacks in revenge for the killing of General Qassem Soleimani and has warned the US and regional allies against retaliating.

The Guard is reportedly calling the attack Operation Martyr Soleimani. 

It is not yet known if there are any deaths or casualties, or how much damage has been done.



  • Iran attacks: Donald Trump tweets 'all is well' as he confirms US bases targeted

  • Iran warns attack is 'first step' and 'Americans won't be spared' as US bases targeted

Following the attack, supreme leader to the secretary of the supreme national security council in Iran, Saeed Jalili posted an image of the Iranian flag, mirroring a similar tweet by Mr Trump.

The president had posted a picture of the US flag after the drone strike which killed Gen Soleimani on Friday.

The White House said earlier this evening that Mr Trump had been briefed about the attacks and had gone to the Situation Room, with it initially understood he would be addressing the nation.


  • Iraq rocket attacks: Iran fires missiles at US targets after vow of revenge

However, this was later denied by White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham and instead the president took to Twitter to say "all is well" and that the US has the "most powerful and well equipped military" in the world.

He said: "All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!

"I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."

CNN is saying Iraqi security officials have said no Iraqi security forces have been injured in the attacks.

While a Guard commander has reportedly told a local TV network the missile attacks were the first step and Tehran will not spare Americans.

A statement from the Pentagon said: "In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners. These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces.

"It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil. We are working on initial battle damage assessments.

"As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region." 

Source: Read Full Article