THE USA might be the third largest country by landmass — spanning over 3.5 million square miles — but only 50 filthy rich people own most of it.
These individuals, some of them old money but some are newly wealthy, own a total of a staggering 31million acres.
Using data from The Land Report magazine’s 2018 Land Report, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 50 largest private landholders in the United States.
Its estimates are based on information from published reports, online databases, tax records, and information provided by various landowners and include only rural land holdings.
Most of those with the slice of the American pie will be unknown to many people in the country and the world.
But there are some familiar faces and people who have forged their fortune in connection with some household businesses.
Then there is the Simplot family who own 443,091 acres and are the 25th largest landowners.
They made their money supply McDonald’s with french fries. They family’s farming empire is now worth $2.5 billion (£1.9bn).
Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is not only one of the richest men in the world, he also owns the most land.
He’s ranked number 28 with his 420,000 acres.
The e-commerce mogul and MacKenzie own properties scattered across the United States worth at least $200million (£155m)/
Ranked number nine is Peter Buck, who was a founding partner Subway restaurant franchise.
He owns a land area of 925,000 acres which is equivalent of three-quarters of Grand Canyon National Park.
The number one landowner is media tycoon John Malone. He presides over a 2.2million acre empire.
These are largely located in Maine, New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming and include profitable cattle ranch.
The top 50 US landowners
- John Malone: 2.2 million acres
- Ted Turner: 2.0 million acres
- Emmerson family: 2.0 million acres
- Reed family: 1.7 million acres
- Stan Kroenke: 1.4 million acres
- Irving family: 1.2 million acres
- Brad Kelley: 1.2 million acres
- Singleton family: 1.1 million acres
- Peter Buck: 925,000 acres
- King Ranch heirs: 911,215 acres
- Pingree heirs: 830,000 acres
- Wilks Brothers: 702,367 acres
- Briscoe heirs: 640,000 acres
- Lykes heirs: 615,000 acres
- Hamer family: 600,000 acres
- O'Connor heirs: 587,800 acres
- Thomas Peterffy: 581,000 acres
- Ford family: 580,000 acres
- Martin family: 570,000 acres
- Stimson family: 552,000 acres
- Holland Ware: 534,900 acres
- Westervelt heirs: 518,000 acres
- D.R. Horton: 503,000 acres
- McDonald family: 474,000 acres
- Simplot family: 443,091 acres
- Fisher family: 440,000 acres
- Philip Anschutz: 434,500 acres
- Jeff Bezos: 420,000 acres
- Holding family: 395,030 acres
- Hughes family: 390,000 acres
- Zane & Tanya Kiehne: 345,000 acres
- Malone Mitchell 3rd: 336,000 acres
- Stefan Soloviev: 325,077 acres
- Collins family: 311,395 acres
- Shannon Kizer: 302,000 acres
- Robinson & Freed families: 300,000 acres
- Mike Smith: 295,980 acres
- Llano Partners: 295,000 acres
- Barta family: 286,000 acres
- Bass family: 285,000 acres
- Collier family: 280,000 acres
- Fasken family: 279,128 acres
- Kokernot heirs: 278,000 acres
- Killam family: 277,000 acres
- Babbitt heirs: 275,000 acres
- Lee family: 275,000 acres
- Anne Marion: 275,000 acres
- Galt family: 262,000 acres
- Lyda family: 260,035 acres
- Hadley family: 260,000 acres
Source: Read Full Article