My daughter's dead body was raped by David Fuller as she lay in hospital – hours later I cuddled her completely unaware

MONSTER murderer David Fuller raped one of his victims hours before her heartbroken mother cuddled her to say goodbye.

Sick Fuller, 67, today admitted murdering Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in their Kent flats in 1987, before going on to have sex with at least 99 corpses in hospital mortuaries.

Azra Kemal, 24, has been named as one of the twisted killers' victims, and was raped by him after falling to her death in Kent.

He had sex with her dead body three times, and even researched her death online – reading tributes from her family and friends.

Azra’s mum, Nevres Kemal told Sky News: "I was told that my daughter had been violated… on three occasions in the mortuary.

"What does one think? How do you comprehend such a thing?

"I had spent two hours in the mortuary sleeping with her. And that gave me some sort of comfort.

"Little did I know that my daughter had been violated prior to that day and the evening of that day.

"So, whilst I'm stroking my daughter's hair, sleeping on her hair, a man had… crawled all over her skin… And there's me kissing and cuddling and saying my last goodbyes.

"That is quite awful, quite awful, however, it is not Azra's shame. It is not my shame.

"Like women who are raped around the world they have a voice, Azra has a voice – I am speaking out for my daughter."

Social worker Nevres lost her daughter after she plunged through a gap between two sides of the A21 dual carriageway near Tonbridge, Kent, last year.

She added: "He seemed very confident, to spend so much time with Azra. Late afternoon, early evening – he was very brazen."

"He had entered the morgue and autopsy area thousands of times, not hundreds, thousands and no one ever stopped him or asked what's this guy doing here?

"I'm told he was the man to go to. He always made himself available to the mortuary staff.

"They thought he was a great guy and basically, he groomed them. They became compliant and they never questioned him.

Whilst I'm stroking my daughter's hair, sleeping on her hair, a man had… crawled all over her skin…

"We have swipe cards and cameras for a reason. How could they not have records that are automatically exposed to managerial people at the NHS trust?

"No one checked. It was so simple. He would actually abuse women while porters were bringing in bodies."

Twisted Fuller today pleaded guilty to killing Wendy and Caroline, with their deaths becoming known as the infamous Bedsit Murders.

More than 20 years after their deaths, he defiled scores of dead women and girls at mortuaries he had access to through his work as a technical supervisor at a hospital.

The youngest victim of his perversions was just nine, while the oldest was 100.

Fuller, of affluent market town Heathfield in East Sussex, initially pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

However, midway through his trial, he suddenly admitted murdering the women. He will die behind bars.

It can also be revealed that Fuller already admitted 51 other offences, including 44 charges relating to dead victims.

Charges include the sexual penetration of a corpse, possessing an extreme pornographic image involving sexual interference with a corpse and taking indecent images of children.

One charge alone relates to 25 deceased females.


He was only linked to the killings of Wendy and Caroline three decades after their deaths following a series of cold case reviews, Crimewatch appeals and finally a major breakthrough in DNA evidence.

After his arrest disgusted cops found four hard drives packed with millions of indecent images and videos of "unimaginable depravity".

He filmed himself carring out depraved acts of necrophilia, at two mortuaries while he worked for Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.

Fuller had access to all areas of Kent and Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells, which closed in September 2011, and the replacement Tunbridge Wells Hospital in nearby Pembury.

After the horrific abuse, he used Facebook to track down the people he'd defiled and learn about their lives during a spine-chilling spree of crimes that went on from 2008 to November 2020.

He was still working for the hospital when he was arrested.

Prosecutors say the case is "unprecedented in legal history" and "the stuff of nightmares".

Fuller changed his pleas four days into his trial, pleading guilty to both murder charges.

The slayings were one of the UK's longest unsolved double homicide cases.

Both women lived alone in ground-floor flats less than a mile apart in Tunbridge Wells and worked in the town – although they didn't know each other.

Wendy was found dead in her bloodstained bed on the morning of June 23, 1987.

There were signs of blunt force trauma to her head, and she'd been strangled. Detectives found evidence of a vile sexual assault carried out after her death.

Caroline, 20, went missing after being dropped off by a taxi outside her home on November 24 that year.

Neighbours allegedly heard "high-pitched screams of terror".

Her naked body was later discovered in a water-filled dyke at St Mary-in-the-Marsh on December 15, 1987.

The court heard a man matching Fuller's description was seen prowling the Tunbridge Wells area at the time of the killings.

He lived with his then-wife just two miles away from the bedsits where both Caroline and Wendy lived.

On the night Wendy died, a man who looked like Fuller was seen peering at a woman through a window.

Caroline also reported a "prowler" outside her home just a month before she vanished, it was heard.


This afternoon, Wendy's family spoke of their anguish in a moving statement.

They said: "For 34 years we, as a family, the police and press, have been focusing on what actually happened to Wendy, wanting to know who did it and how she spent her last moments alive.

"We now know and sadly it is much worse than we could ever have imagined.

"Hopefully, we can now start to grieve and move past the pain, and start to remember her as the beautiful, kind, generous, caring, funny girl she was. She had a smile and a kind word for everyone."

Tragically, Wendy's father died four years ago without ever knowing who murdered his daughter.

Her family said: "It broke his heart. He never found out before he died. Yet he has been with us every step of the way.

"We are deeply sad he isn't with us to hear this news today.

"Although the guilty plea won't change anything deep down as the pain and loss will always be there, it's good knowing Fuller will not be in a position to hurt or cause any more pain.

"Not just for our family. But for Caroline's family and friends who've been on this same journey with us over all those years and all the other families this man's affected.

"We feel deep sadness for all of you."

No British court has ever seen abuse on this scale against the dead before… it's the stuff of nightmares

Fuller's abuse of female corpses carries a maximum of just two years in prison for just one offence.

But he is likely to face a whole-life prison term for the murders, meaning he will never be freed.

Prosecutor Duncan Aitkinson QC said specially-trained officers are helping the families of all victims through the "very difficult task" of preparing statements on the impact.

Sentencing will now take place at a later date and Fuller was remanded in custody following his plea.

The defendant is believed to be currently held at London's high security Belmarsh Prison.

Libby Clark of the CPS said: "David Fuller’s deeply distressing crimes are unlike any other I have encountered in my career and unprecedented in British legal history.

“This highly dangerous man has inflicted unimaginable suffering on countless families and he has only admitted his long-held secrets when confronted with overwhelming evidence.

“Fuller, with his uncontrolled sense of sexual entitlement, treated Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce with extreme depravity. Both women were simply at home or returning from work when he ambushed them.

“Their families never gave up on achieving justice even when all hope seemed lost. My thoughts are with them today and all the families of women and girls whose lives have been cut short by senseless violence.

“Fuller’s appalling crimes did not end with these killings and he went on to abuse his position of trust as a hospital electrician in the most grotesque manner imaginable.

“No British court has ever seen abuse on this scale against the dead before and I have no doubt he would still be offending to this day had it not been for this painstaking investigation and prosecution.”

    Source: Read Full Article