Piers Morgan: Why are we releasing terrorists like Sudesh Amman?

‘What are we doing releasing them?’ Piers Morgan rages on GMB that if Streatham jihadi Sudesh Amman had not been shot by police he would soon have been freed to attack again

  • Piers Morgan has called for answers over why dangerous terrorists are released 
  • Sudesh Amman, 20, was freed last week after being jailed in December 2018
  • Amman launched a bloody knife rampage in south London and was shot dead
  • Morgan asked why we are releasing terrorists still considered dangerous

Piers Morgan has called for answers over why Streatham knife terrorist Sudesh Amman was released from jail – and said that if he had not been shot dead he would have been set free to attack again. 

Amman, 20, was freed last week before launching a bloody knife rampage, stabbing two people in south London yesterday before he was shot by officers on Streatham High Road. 

He had been jailed for three years and four months in December 2018 after admitting possessing and distributing terrorist documents, including bomb making manuals, and knife fighting guides – but was released automatically a few days ago, despite fears he still held extremist views.

Speaking on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Piers Morgan said the attack was ‘no surprise’, adding that we ‘knew after the last time this happened’ that there were thousands of jihadis on Britain’s streets. 

‘The jihadi last night, had he survived this attack, you can absolutely bet your life he’d have been let out at some stage again, it is utterly ridiculous,’ Mr Morgan said. 

He added: ‘He wanted to die a martyr killing people with knives – guess how he died, everybody, he died a martyr, trying to kill people with knives.

Sudesh Amman, 20, from Harrow, fantasised about carrying out a terror attack with a blade or with acid while riding a moped and had been jailed in 2018 – before being released a few days ago 

Speaking on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Piers Morgan wondered how many more terrorists were out on the UK’s streets hoping to ‘die a martyr, killing people with knives’

‘I mean literally short of walking around with a loudhailer saying ”I’m about to kill people with knives” – it’s utterly ridiculous isn’t it? How many more of them are out there?’ 

He said: ‘Why are they released at all? If they’re still considered a threat and they’re extremist jihadist… what are we doing releasing them?’

Mr Morgan raged that we keep more than 70 prisoners locked up for life without tariff, saying that the ‘monsters’ that killed Lee Rigby ‘will never come out of prison, because they did an act not dissimilar to this’.

Michael Adebowale, 37, and Michael Adebolajo drove into Fusilier Rigby before hacking him to death near his barracks in Woolwich, South East London, in May 2013. 

Adebowale was given 45 years in jail for his part in the bloody attack; Adebolajo was given a whole-life term.    

Mr Morgan today said: ‘What’s the difference? What is the difference between what those killers did… Why is Lee Rigby’s life considered to be worth more than the poor woman that was stabbed in the back on Streatham High Road?

‘Lee Rigby was an incredibly brave man, he served his country, and his death was a outrage, but his killers will never come out of prison.’ 

He said that what made yesterday’s attack particularly extraordinary was that the reason he was shot dead by police so quickly was because he was under surveillance, as he was one of ‘hundreds’ being watched.  

Fellow host Susanna Reid said Amman was set free under the automatic release scheme after serving half his three-year four-month sentence, but was considered so much of a risk that police were following him. 

Amman had been jailed for three years and four months in December 2018, when he pleaded guilty to possessing and distributing terrorist documents including bomb making manuals and knife fighting guides.

But he was released automatically a few days ago, despite fears he still held extremist views, paving the way for him to launch his attack on Sunday. 

The Henry Jackson Society has now revealed that it identified Amman in December as an extremist close to automatic early release, warning he was still too dangerous to be freed.

The think tank included Amman as part of a ‘new wave of released terrorists’ in the wake of the London Bridge attack where Usman Khan murdered two people.

A Whitehall source claimed he was released despite concerns because the law didn’t give them the power to keep him in jail.

‘Lee Rigby was an incredibly brave man, he served his country, and his death was a outrage, but his killers will never come out of prison,’ Piers Morgan said. Pictured is Lee Rigby

Residents at the bail hostel where he was believed to have been staying claim he had previously tried to take his life and had been asking for medication.

Speaking after Amman was named as the attacker shot dead by police in Streatham today, Henry Jackson Society fellow Dr Paul Stott said: ‘We need an immediate moratorium on the release of terrorist prisoners, whilst the government reviews each individual case.’

On Sunday, while being under active police surveillance and ‘very stringent licencing conditions’, he launched a horrific knife rampage in Streatham, south London, leaving one man in a life-threatening condition, though he later recovered.

Wearing a fake suicide vest, Amman stole a 10-inch, £3.99 blade from a convenience store and stabbed the man, in his 40s, in the stomach before knifing a female cyclist, in her 50s, in the back as he ran down the street.

Armed police were on the scene within minutes, having been following him because they suspected he was going to launch a terrorist attack imminently. After he failed to stop, Amman was shot dead outside a Boots chemist.

In the rush to get there, one police car crashed into a driveway on a residential street a mile away.

Officers are thought to have called for back-up in a panic after seeing Amman steal the knife before launching his attack, reportedly yelling ‘Allahu Akbar’.

Another woman received minor injuries in the attack, believed to have been caused by flying glass following a police gunshot.

Source: Read Full Article