Thomas Cook gave tourist £2k after he fell ill on holiday at Egypt death hotel

A tourist was compensated after getting food poisoning at the Egyptian hotel where a British couple died last month.

Thomas Cook gave Nick Hawkins £2,000 after he fell ill on an all-inclusive holiday at the five-star Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada last year.

John and Susan Cooper collapsed on August 21 in their room, where daughter Kelly said there was a strange smell the night before.

Now it has been claimed the room next to theirs was fumigated the day before, raising fears fumes may have seeped in through the false ceiling.

A source said: “Some of these places use pretty heavy duty stuff.”

Alison Sonnex, 54, of Ramsgate, Kent, died at another Egyptian hotel in April after her husband noticed a “strong smell”.

Thomas Cook evacuated 300 guests as a precaution after the deaths of John, 69, and Susan, 63, from Burnley, Lancs.

Mr Hawkins, 51, from Witham, Essex, who had Salmonella, said: “I wouldn’t stay there again.”

Thomas Cook said: “The safety of our customers is our priority. We’d never send customers to a hotel we don’t believe to be safe.”

It said it is “committed to doing everything we can” to find out what happened to the Coopers.

Read More

Top Stories from Mirror Online

  • Egypt Brits ‘next to fumiigated room’
  • Gran and son booted off Ryanair flight
  • Fortinite fan, 10, uses mum’s bank card
  • Brit ‘kingpin in £350m coke gang held’

Source: Read Full Article