THE coronavirus outbreak prompted the White House to ban recent foreign travelers to China and will quarantine US citizens who were near coronavirus epicenter.
Donald Trump's administration had been reportedly considering the measure before declaring a public health emergency at a press briefing today.
On Friday, the confirmed people who pose a risk to the country or were near virus epicenter Wuhan would not be permitted to enter, reports CNBC.
Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Trump signed an order to deny entry to foreign nationals who traveled there over the past fortnight.
Americans to traveled to Wuhan in China’s Hubei province within the last 14 days “will be subject to up to 14 days of mandatory quarantin."
This is to ensure "they’re provided proper medical care and health screening," Azar said, describing the measures as "appropriate" steps.
Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Americans were at a low risk of infection.
The CDC confirmed "federal quarantine orders to all 195 United States citizens who repatriated to the U.S. on January 29, 2020" were issued.
"The quarantine will last 14 days from when the plane left Wuhan, China," they said in a series of explanatory tweets.
The federal agency described it as a "precautionary and preventive step to maximize the containment of the virus."
"The current epidemic in Mainland China has demonstrated the #2019nCoV’s capacity to spread globally," the CDC warned this afternoon.
Source: Read Full Article