Harry and Meghan: Celebs react to couple being honoured at awards show
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
On Tuesday evening, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were given an anti-racism award in New York at The Ripple of Hope gala. The duo were given the accolade for their work on racial justice and mental health through their Archewell Foundation. While many celebrities attended the event, actor Brian Cox shared his thoughts on their accusations of racism within the Royal Family.
Last year, in a bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan made strong claims of facing racism from unnamed members of the Royal Family.
During their conversation, the Duchess of Sussex and her husband Harry made remarks on the British media and their toxicity towards the 41-year-old.
Since the duo stepped down from their roles as working royals, they have continued to try and shine on discrimination and racial injustice by setting up their charitable foundation Archewell.
Being given the anti-racism award at The Ripple of Hope gala this week, Good Morning Britain’s correspondent Noel Phillips spoke to many celebrities to get their thoughts on the Sussexes.
Actor Brian said he believes their claims about how they were treated by the Royal Family.
The actor said: “I don’t know what went on, but something clearly traumatic went on for the pair of them.
“I don’t think they made it up, I don’t think it’s false. I think it’s true and should’ve been rectified, and it hasn’t.”
Also touching on Harry and Meghan was presenter Gayle King who defended the couple on their claims
Speaking to Noel, she said: “I don’t know how people can judge something they haven’t seen.
“And I thought Meghan said it very well in the trailer. She said, ‘Shouldn’t people hear our story?'”
Gayle’s comments come after the Sussexes recently released a new trailer for their upcoming Netflix documentary which has sparked a wave of controversy.
Set across six episodes, the exclusive insight will follow Harry and Meghan’s relationship from the start, the challenges faced while in the Royal Family and the aftermath after resigning from their roles.
Giving viewers a snippet of what they can expect to see, the dramatic trailer features the couple being hounded by paparazzi along with a clip of the late Princess Diana to mirror the same media chaos she endured.
Although after analysing the trailer, Harry and Meghan have been slammed for using footage that has no relation to them.
Parts of the footage have come from the press outside of Katie Price’s court case, Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen being papped and a hoard of photographers at the Harry Potter premiere in 2011.
With the trailer being released this week, many have shared their strong thoughts ahead of its air date, including Talk TV’s Piers Morgan who spoke about the trailer on his Uncensored show this week.
He said: “As for the shameful comparisons to Princess Diana, I remember Prince Harry being very very angry about the media exploiting his mother for commercial gain.
“Yet what has he done with this Netflix series? He’s used his mother to sell it.
“Could there be a more grotesque exploitation or a more hypocritical one than him using his dead mother’s imagery to get sympathy for himself again, as a great victim in this world?”
Harry and Meghan airs on Netflix on December 8.
Source: Read Full Article