Ex-Manchester United star Darron Gibson pleads guilty to drink-driving

The midfielder, who was playing for Sunderland at the time, was on his way to the club's training ground to meet team-mates when he was involved in the collision on St Patrick's Day.

Gibson, 30, has admitted drink-driving at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court today. He blew 95 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath – the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Gibson, who used to play for Manchester United, had his contract at Sunderland ended by mutual consent after he was charged.

He was driving his £75,000 Mercedes ahead of Sunderland travelling to the Stadium of Light for the match against Preston North End when he smashed into multiple cars.

Witnesses said he was "slurring" his speech after he was stopped by cops following the crash.

He first hit the driver's side of a taxi causing a "loud bang" then carried on down down the street without stopping.

Gibson's Mercedes then ended up “completely off the road and on the pavement” after colliding with parked cars,

The footballer told cops he had had “two drinks the night before” after failing the roadside test.

But Rebecca Laverick, prosecuting, said: "His account didn’t coincide with the manner he was presenting in.

“His speech was slurred and he smelled of alcohol.”

Gibson was taken to hospital and released after tests but remained in police custody over that weekend.

He was later charged for drink-driving and suspended by the Black Cats.

The ace is now facing jail after he was banned for 20 months after ploughing his car into three cyclists in a garage in Cheshire in 2015.

His lawyer, Henry Blackshaw, said Gibson recognised how serious the offence was,  adding: "He’s undertaking medical treatment for an underlying medical cases, which would explain his drinking on this occasion and, most likely, the previous occasion.”

Last year, the troubled footballer was filmed in a bar following a 5-0 defeat by Celtic admitting to fans that Sunderland were “f***ing s***”.

Speaking after he was charged, Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain: “We expect the highest standard of behaviour from our players and should any individual fall short of those standards then robust action must be taken.”

The Irishman played 30 games for the Black Cats following his move from Everton in January 2017.

He is due to be sentenced on May 25.


Source: Read Full Article