Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has urged HBO not to pay the hackers, even though they apparently have all his personal data.
The network has been the subject of a cyber attack since last month, with the most recent release seeing documents about the shoot for Westworld season two leaked, alongside scripts for unaired episodes of Divorce and Vice Principals.
Talking to The Daily Beast, Coster-Waldau has revealed that the HBO hackers probably have all of the Game of Thrones cast members’ personal data.
“A couple of weeks ago, I get a call from one of the HBO execs and they go, ‘Hey! How are you?’ and at first I was thinking, ‘Oh, I’m being killed off. I’m not going to make it to season eight,'” he joked.
“But then they go, ‘You know, we just want to inform you that we had a hack. It’s kind of a big problem with HBO. We don’t know quite how bad it is, but it looks like all of your guys’ info has been leaked.’
“And I went, ‘What?’ and they said, ‘Oh, your emails, your phone numbers, all of the info is out there.’ I said, ‘That’s not good! What are we gonna do?’ and they go, ‘Well, we don’t know.'”
Despite this, Coster-Waldau doesn’t want HBO to pay the hackers, who have reportedly demanded $7 million, with the network apparently countering with $250,000 in bitcoin as a delay tactic.
“See, that’s a problem. If you already say you’re going to offer them something, then you’re already saying that you’re willing to pay,” he argued.
As for his personal data, he’s “waiting to find out” whether he needs to change things like phone numbers and credit card details, with HBO said to be letting the Thrones stars know what to do.
Game of Thrones continues on Sunday (August 20) on HBO in the US, simulcast in the early hours of Monday morning (August 21) on Sky Atlantic in the UK.
Want up-to-the-minute entertainment news and features? Just hit ‘Like’ on our Digital Spy Facebook page and ‘Follow’ on our @digitalspy Twitter account and you’re all set.