First picture of adopted baby girl Elsie Scully-Hicks ’murdered by her dad Matthew who called her a f***ing brat before shaking her to death’

THIS is the first picture of an adopted baby girl who was allegedly murdered by her dad who called her a f***ing brat before shaking her to death.

Fitness instructor Matthew Scully-Hicks, 31, is accused of killing 18-month-old Elsie Scully-Hicks following months of "assaulting and abusing" her.

 Elsie Scully-Hicks, pictured for the first time, was just 18-months-old when she died

A court heard how Scully-Hicks told paramedics the little girl had "screamed out then collapsed" at their home in Llandaff, Cardiff.

A paramedic who responded to a 999 call by Scully-Hicks said he found the little girl "lifeless" and "blue" on the floor.

Giving evidence at the trial, paramedic Jonathan Aberg said: "She appeared lifeless and a little bit blue. We then started CPR.

"The dad reported the child screamed out then collapsed. He'd called 999 and CPR had commenced.

"The child was blue-looking and unresponsive."

Scully-Hicks first adopted Elsie with his husband Craig in September 2015 and the process was finalised nearly eight months later.

But less than two weeks later little Elsie died after suffering traumatic head injuries.

Cardiff Crown Court was told Scully-Hicks assaulted little Elsie over seven months at his home after taking in the baby with his husband.

 Matthew Scully-Hicks is accused of murdering his adopted baby daughter after months of alleged abuse


Dr David Tuthill, who examined Elsie at the emergency department, reported dad Scully-Hicks to police because of his "very calm" explanation about why she was dying.

Dr Tuthill said: "His behaviour was very strange and calm.

"I said to a colleague: 'That's very strange he's so calm'.

"Parents are usually in floods of tears and it's my job to comfort them. A child has just died.

"It struck me as very unusual. He was very calm and out of the ordinary. Normally you'd expect a father or mother to be in tears."

Dr Tuthill was working in the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff when Scully-Hicks arrived with "lifeless" little Else in May last year.

He said: "People react in different ways. The usual reaction to a child being resuscitated and dying in front of you is to cry.

"I see a lot of parents and they're usually pretty upset in most situations."

 Fitness instructor Scully-Hicks first adopted Elsie with his husband Craig in September 2015 and the process was finalised nearly eight months later

He said he'd noted Scully-Hicks' behaviour to police because he thought it seemed "unusual."

Dr Tuthill said: "I'd spoken to her father and explained she was very unwell. I tried to get a little bit more detail about what happened.

"I said doctors were trying to restart her heart. I said she was incredibly sick and we needed to work out exactly what happened."

The doctor said nothing Scully-Hicks told him could explain how Elsie's heart had stopped beating.

He said: "He said she'd been in one room and he went into another. I took it that it was not long.

"He came in and found her not breathing and started to try and resuscitate her.

"There was nothing to explain then given her history why her heart had stopped."

Neighbours told the trial that they heard the stay-at-home dad shouting "shut the f*** up" through the walls and calling baby Elsie a "silly little c***."

The court heard he would often sound "exasperated" and "frustrated."

Elsie died at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, after the decision was taken to switch off her ventilator when doctors decided she would not survive her traumatic head injuries.

She was found unresponsive by paramedics after Scully-Hicks allegedly attacked her at his home on May 25 last year.

Matthew Scully-Hicks, now of Delabole, Cornwall, denies murder.

The trial continues.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply