A five-alarm blaze that injured 20 firefighters on Staten Island over the weekend was ignited by a child playing with a lighter, officials said Monday.
“Per #FDNY Fire Marshals – Saturday’s 5-alarm fire at 237 Steinway Ave #StatenIsland, in which 20 Firefighters were injured and five homes were damaged, was accidental, caused by a child playing with a lighter,” the FDNY wrote on Twitter.
Four of the smoke-eaters were injured seriously but expected to survive after the massive blaze, which broke out around 7 p.m. Saturday and spread across five buildings in New Springville.
Around 250 firefighters and EMS personnel were on the scene.
The FDNY added several posts on Twitter warning parents to talk to their children about the dangers of playing with fire.
Last year, a Bronx toddler playing with a stove in his apartment sparked an inferno that tore through the building, killing 12 people, including an infant.
It was the deadliest residential fire in the city’s recent history.
Source: Read Full Article