One-year-old dead after dad ’left baby by hot shower in the early hours to help clear cough’ before going back to bed

A BABY has died after his dad left him by a hot shower in the middle of the night so the steam would help his cough, according to reports.

The 27-year-old father told police that his son Mordechai Halpern woke up coughing at about 3.30am on Thursday, the New York Daily News reports.

 The dad had wanted to help his child overcome his cough (file pic)

Wanting to help, he gave the one-year-old a bottle filled with water, lemon juice and sugar.

But this did not relieve his cough.

So he then strapped the tot in his pram, covered him with a blanket, wheeled him into the bathroom.

The dad reportedly then turned on the shower using only hot water to make steam which would then act as a humidifier.

He then closed the shower curtain and went back to bed, setting his alarm for 5am.

When it went off the baby's 22-year-old mother got up to check on the baby.

 The shower was run to create steam for the congested child to breathe in

But she found the baby boy unconscious in the bathroom, according to the New York Daily News .

An ambulance rushed the child to nearby Maimonides Medical Centre, but he died at 5.49am.

Police were then called as is routine after a child death.

According to news reports, the baby's body temperature was more than 42 degrees when it should be about 37 degrees.

Anything more than 39 degrees is a sign of a high fever.

A post-mortem examination will aim to find the baby's cause of death.

Police believe it was an accident, the New York Daily News claimed.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.



Leave a Reply