WHITE Widow Sally Jones was not fleeing Syria but plotting fresh mayhem at a new ISIS HQ when she was killed by a US drone, The Sun can reveal.
Intelligence sources have disclosed she had no intention of trying to come home to Britain, as had been previously claimed.
It also emerged last night that the 50-year-old mother of two was “zapped” by the US Air Force Predator drone alongside other senior ISIS commanders.
Kingpin jihadi recruiter Jones was inside a new ISIS headquarters with them when the American Hellfire missile struck it in June.
The building close to the Syria/Iraq border had been recently taken over by some of the warped terror movement’s chiefs.
Jones and her associates had just relocated from their capital of Raqqa to a safer location after coalition forces laid siege to it.
An intelligence source told The Sun: “She was not fleeing anything. She was still very much in the middle of it all.
“There is no evidence at all to suggest she had any interest in coming home.”
The Sun revealed Jones’s killing on Wednesday, Britain’s most wanted woman.
It had been kept quiet on both sides of the Atlantic for four months amid fears her 12-year-old son JoJo was also killed in the blast by mistake.
The fresh facts emerged as the Defence Secretary all but confirmed Jones’s death – seen as a major PR blow for ISIS.
While insisting he could not comment on a national security issue, Michael Fallon used a press conference in the Foreign Office with his Polish counterpart yesterday to renew his grave warning to all British jihadis abroad like former punk rocker Jones.
Sir Michael said: “If you are a British national in Iraq or Syria and if you have chosen to fight for Daesh – an illegal organisation that is preparing and inspiring terror attacks on our streets – then you have made yourself a legitimate target.
“You run the risk every hour of every day of being on the wrong end of an RAF or a United States missile.”
The US spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve – the US-led coalition against ISIS –
Colonel Ryan Dillon tweeted yesterday: “Cannot confirm death of ISIS propagandist Sally Jones as a result of a Coalition strike”.
But also symbolically, he added: “@CJTFOIR pursues #ISIS, regardless of origin”.
Earlier this year, the wife of another ISIS foreign fighter had insisted Jones was being held against her will in the so-called caliphate.
The woman called Aisha, who was living in a Kurdish refugee camp in Syria, said: “She was crying and wants to get back to Britain but ISIS is preventing her because she is now a military wife.
“She told me she wish to go to her country.”
Jones was designated a High Value Target and put high up a US kill list for her work as a key IS recruiter of female foreign jihadis.
She also ran the female wing of ISIS’s notorious Anwar al-Awlaki battalion – a unit of foreign fighters founded by her dead husband Junaid Hussain to cause mayhem on Europe and America’s streets.
Hussain was also killed by a US drone in 2015, for being the kingpin behind a planned wave of barbaric attacks against the West, including on public commemorations in central London.
Jones left her home in Chatham, Kent, for Syria with son JoJo in 2013, after being radicalised during an online romance with Hussain – a convicted computer hacker.
Military experts backed the US drone strike on Jones as the right thing to do.
The MoD’s former head of counter terror Major General Chip Chapman branded Jones a “significant” target because of her key recruiting role.
But on her son JoJo’s suspected death as well, the general added: “It is a difficult one, because under the UN Charters he is under the age of what we would classify as a soldier.
“Even if he got up to really bad things, he shouldn’t have been targeted.”
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn sparked fresh anger yesterday by refusing to say he would authorised the drone strike that killed Jones.
Lifelong peace campaigner Mr Corbyn instead insisted the ISIS terror kingpin should have somehow been arrested and put on trial.
Grilled by ITV News if he would have issued the kill order as PM, the Labour boss would only say: “I think it’s difficult to give an answer to that question, which is hypothetical.
“I think we have to look at very carefully the effects on the civilian population of any bombing that takes place before such a decision is made but you have to look at all the facts.”
He added: “I think people who have committed crimes ought to be put on trial and that way of course when you interrogate somebody you get more information about the background to it”.
Senior Tory Sir Michael Fallon accused Mr Corbyn of failing the nation.
The Defence Secretary added: “Protecting this country is the first duty of a Prime Minister.
“Corbyn’s continued refusal to back drone strikes on terrorists who are actively plotting murder on our streets shows he is simply not fit to lead and keep us safe.”
Earlier, Labour’s shadow business secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey appeared to back the strike, saying Jones “posed a significant threat to our national security”, and adding: “The security forces need to deal with these cases very robustly”.