Family Sues Airbnb & Property Owner After Their Toddler Dies Of Fentanyl Overdose While On Vacation

A family vacation turned into a nightmare after a 19-month-old baby died of a fentanyl overdose…

Looking forward to a getaway, Lydie and Boris Lavenir took their daughter Enora, as well as their four other children, to a Wellington, Florida Airbnb in August 2021 — and that’s when the unthinkable happened. The mother of five found her infant daughter, only an hour into her nap time, blue in the face and foaming at the mouth. She screamed and cried for help, and even attempted to do chest compressions on Enora, but by the time help arrived it was too late. She was pronounced dead at HCA Florida Palms West Hospital.

At the time, a medical examiner’s report showed the baby girl had “lethal levels of fentanyl” in her system — a drug the family had never heard of prior to their daughter’s death. Police never formally made any charges in the case, ruling out Enora’s family as suspects. Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office said in an incident report they were unable to find where the drug came from:

“There were no signs of any narcotic medications or any illegal narcotics at the crime scene and her death was listed as accidental.”

Boris, completely heartbroken, told the New York Post at the time:

“It’s like we fell into a trap.”

The parents believe there is someone to blame, however. The same incident report that ruled their daughter’s death as accidental also reported a huge party at the Airbnb only two days prior to the family’s arrival, and now the Lavenir family is suing the company, the property owner, the rental’s manager, and a renter for “negligence” following the baby’s overdose.

Reportedly, a previous renter of the property came forward and said one of the parties that took place at the location involved cocaine — which would make a lot of sense because cocaine related fentanyl deaths are very widespread, particularly in Florida. The police still closed the case and maintained they couldn’t find where Enora ingested the drug from, but her loved ones aren’t convinced. They’re now suing on the basis of the drug not being properly picked up before they brought their family into the home.

When asked for comment, Airbnb shared with the outlet:

“Our hearts go out to the Lavenir family and their loved ones for their devastating loss.”

Kind of a non-response, isn’t it? Well, attorney Thomas Scolaro who is representing the Lavenirs is certain the drug was in that unit:

“It was definitely in that unit, that Airbnb. Which particular person left the drugs is frankly not anything I’m trying to prove. What I want to show is Airbnb provided no cleanup, no warning, no measure of safety for the family.”

So sad… But seriously, if all of the family’s belongings and the family members themselves tested negative, where else would it have come from?!

Law professor at the University of Florida Lars Noah told the outlet that “where that fentanyl comes from, linking it to this particular group, that just sounds monstrously difficult under these circumstances,” but Boris knows his daughter got the substance somewhere in the home:

“What is certain is, Enora had contact with fentanyl in the Airbnb.”

We mean, yeah, if there was a party there just days before, wouldn’t you come to the same conclusion?

Our hearts go out to Enora’s family and loved ones as they navigate this devastating loss. We hope she gets the justice she deserves.

Related Posts

Source: Read Full Article