Mum’s horror after being blinded by parasitic worm that wriggles into her EYEBALL while in the shower

Suzanne Dunne was left with a severe pain in her eye after the worm ate its way through her cornea.

She was rushed to hospital where medics had to pour bleach into her eye every day for 16 days to kill the infection.

The nurse, from Donabate in North Co Dublin, Ireland, told the Irish Mirror: "At 7.30pm I said I was going to bed and then at 1am I woke up and I was blind. I didn’t know what was happening because everything was black.

"There’s so many power cuts in Donabate as it is so I thought it was that, but deep down I knew there was something wrong.

"So, I crawled my way out of the bedroom and my husband Paul is a taxi driver and thank God he came in [home] and he started screaming and he rang an ambulance.


“My sight was gone, completely gone. The whole place was black. My eye was being pushed out by the parasite."

Suzanne had been in the shower when the Acanthamoeba parasite crawled behind her contact lens.

The organism is usually found in bodies of water such as lakes but also swims in domestic tap water, swimming pools, hot tubs, soil and air and affects contact lens wearers.

Doctors managed to kill the nerves and clean them so thankfully Suzanne's sight was saved.

But she explained the pain "was like a searing hot knife through my eye".

Suzanne also claims the warm weather is to blame for the worms being in the water.

The eye-eating virus that affects contact lens wearers

Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) is an infection of the cornea caused by a microscopic organism called Acanthamoeba.

The parasite is usually found in bodies of water (lakes, oceans and rivers) as well as domestic tap water, swimming pools, hot tubs, soil and air.

Humans come into contact with them when we wash, swim and drink water but they can cause a serious eye disease if they infect the cornea.

AK is most common in people who wear contact lenses, but anyone with a corneal injury could develop the infection.

The mum said: "It can only happen a contact lens wearer because the contact lens creates a vacuum in the eye. So if anything goes in behind it it makes it cling onto it.

"I wanted to highlight it because I don’t want people to go through the same thing I went through. In the winter time you’re safe.

"In warm conditions and because we haven’t had heat like this the parasite multiplies and it’s rampant. Even though the parasite is dead the damage is done.”



 

Source: Read Full Article