Royal family 'furious' over The Crown 'lies' as Prince Harry & Meghan Markle face fresh questions over £75m Netflix deal

THE Royal family is said to be "furious" over the latest storylines in The Crown – as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle face questions about their Netflix deal.

It comes as the fourth series of the royal drama is released on Sunday, depicting Princess Diana's eating disorder and Prince Charles' affair.

⚠️Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple



Friends of the prince have launched attacks ahead of the airing, after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a £75million contract with the streaming giant.

The pair quit as senior royals earlier this year and "shopped themselves around" for a big money TV deal before settling on Netflix, the firm's boss Reed Hastings revealed.

One insider told the Mail on Sunday: "There are raised eyebrows about Harry taking millions from the company that’s behind all this.

"After all where do much of Netflix’s profits come from? The Crown."

And another accused the streaming heavyweight of "trolling on a Hollywood budget".

They said: "The Duke of Cambridge is none too pleased with it. He feels that both his parents are being exploited and being presented in a false, simplistic way to make money.

"In this case, it’s dragging up things that happened during very difficult times 25 or 30 years ago without a thought for anyone’s feelings.

"That isn’t right or fair, particularly when so many of the things being depicted don’t represent the truth.



"The new series paints the Prince and Duchess in a very unflattering light but at least at the start of reality shows like The Only Way Is Essex they admit that some scenes have been invented for entertainment."

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are thought to have been unhappy with previous series of the hit show.

In the second series Prince Philip was shown to have an affair and then ignore his mother in the third when she lived at Buckingham Palace – both of which are said to be untrue.

And in this series Philip threatens Princess Diana after she voices leaving Charles, which some have said is a reference to unproven conspiracy theories about her death.

The Sun's Arthur Edwards wrote in a personal account of his time spent with Prince Charles and Princess Diana: "I do believe Charles when he says he did not rekindle the romance with ­Camilla Parker Bowles until his marriage to Diana had irretrievably broken down.

"I have known and worked with the Prince for 40 years and I don’t recognise the man portrayed in the new series of The Crown."

It comes as images of Princess Diana suffering from bulimia in The Crown are so shocking Netflix has put warnings at the start of the episodes.

The new series of the royal drama sees her develop the eating disorder after getting engaged to Prince Charles.

As her marriage to the heir to the throne crumbles, Diana, played by Emma Corrin, 24, is seen violently vomiting into a toilet on multiple occasions.

The warning is at the beginning of three of ten instalments, which cover the period from 1979 to 1990.

It says: “The following episode includes scenes of an eating disorder which some viewers may find troubling. Viewers discretion is required.”

Source: Read Full Article