Police in New Zealand have confirmed two more people have died following Monday's White Island volcano eruption, bringing the death toll to eight.
Six people had previously been confirmed dead following the eruption, while two British women were said to be among the 30 people in hospital.
An additional nine people have been listed as missing, and authorities say it remains too dangerous to return to the island.
The identities and nationalities of the latest two casualties have not been confirmed.
The heartbreaking announcement comes just hours after it emerged that a teenage girl and her stepdad were among those who died in the eruption.
Tragic Zoe Hosking, 15, and her lawyer stepdad Gavin Dallow, 53, were identified in a statement by their family.
The pair, from Australia, were visiting the island when the deadly blast happened.
In a statement the Dallow family said: "Gavin was a wonderful son and brother.
"We’ll miss him at the cricket and we’ll miss him at the football. He was a generous man, always helping his family and his community.
"Our hearts break at the loss of Zoe at such a young age."
Rescuers say it is currently "too dangerous" to return to the island owing to the "serious physical and chemical hazards" they would face.
There is also a risk of a further eruption, experts have said.
New Zealand's Civil Defence ministry said it was "absolutely imperative" to retrieve the bodies, but "the prevention of further human harm must be taken into account".
While chief coroner Judge Deborah Marshall has declared the White Island eruption a "mass fatality incident" and said it could be "some weeks" before all the deceased are identified.
The first Australian victims of the eruption have been named by a family friend as Julie Richards, 47, and her 20-year-old daughter Jessica.
Counties Manukau District Health Board's chief medical officer Dr Peter Watson told reporters that 22 patients were on airway support "due to the severity of their burns and other injuries".
He added that supplies – including an additional 1.2 million square centimetres of skin – would be needed to meet patient demand and will be ordered from the United States.
This is equivalent size to a fifth of a penalty area on a football pitch.
"The nature of the burns suffered is complicated by the gases and chemicals in the eruption."
Graham Leonard, of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear sciences, said conditions on the island are worsening.
He added: "There are two key risks (on the ground). One: environmental. This is highly wind varying, but at times it will be challenging for breathing, seeing or walking on the island, and at other times clear.
"Second of all, there is the risk of another eruption like Monday's eruption while on the island."
He said the risk of a further eruption in the next 24 hours like that seen on Monday had increased to 40-60% from 30-50%.
National operation Commander Deputy Commissioner John Tims said: "The environment on the island has changed, (there has been) increased activity from earlier this morning.
"We are standing by to go back to that island.
"We are confident on our ability to deliver the rescue operation. But that is after we are sure that we can manage the real dangers that are on the island."
Source: Read Full Article