‘Appalled’ King Charles condemns the ‘barbaric acts of terrorism’ in Israel and his ‘thoughts and prayers are with all those suffering’
The King is ‘appalled’ by and condemns the ‘barbaric acts’ of terrorism in Israel, Buckingham Palace announced today.
Charles is said to be ‘extremely concerned’ about the situation and has asked to be actively updated in the wake of Hamas’ attacks.
A Palace spokesman said the monarch’s thoughts and prayers were with all of those suffering, especially those who had lost loved ones.
Israel has vowed unprecedented retaliation against the Palestinian terror group Hamas after its fighters stormed through the border fence on Saturday and shot hundreds of Israelis in their homes, on the streets and at an outdoor music festival.
The Israeli government has launched a major retaliation of air strikes on Gaza and stopped the passage of food, water, fuel and medicine into the territory.
King Charles – seen in Aberdeenshire earlier this month – is ‘appalled’ by and condemns the ‘barbaric acts’ of terrorism in Israel
The number of people killed in Hamas’s attacks on Israel has risen above 1,200, officials said.
That includes 260 revellers gunned down at a music festival, and whole families – including children’s and babies – who were massacred in a kibbutz.
Israeli air strikes on Gaza have killed 900 Palestinians, according to the territory’s health ministry.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: ‘This is a situation His Majesty is extremely concerned about and he has asked to be kept actively updated.
READ MORE – Foreign Secretary James Cleverly arrives in Israel in show of ‘unwavering solidarity’ following brutal Hamas assault
‘His thoughts and prayers are with all of those suffering, particularly those who have lost loved ones, but also those actively involved as we speak.’
He added: ‘His Majesty is appalled by and condemns the barbaric acts of terrorism in Israel.’
UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly arrived in Israel today to show Britain’s ‘unwavering solidarity’ with their Middle East ally.
Officials said he will meet survivors of the attacks and senior Israeli leaders ‘to outline UK support for Israel’s right to defend itself’.
Mr Cleverly said today that a ‘significant number’ of British-Israeli nationals had been caught up in the conflict, which has already claimed at least 2,100 lives on both sides.
At least seventeen British nationals are currently feared dead or missing, the BBC reported – citing an official source. Previous estimates put the figure at 10.
A Foreign Office spokesman: ‘The Foreign Secretary has arrived in Israel today to demonstrate the UK’s unwavering solidarity with the Israeli people following Hamas’s terrorist attacks.
‘He will be meeting survivors of the attacks and senior Israeli leaders to outline UK support for Israel’s right to defend itself.’
Today, Israeli forces conducted 250 airstrikes in just one hour across northern and eastern parts of the Gaza strip.
An Israeli army self-propelled howitzer fires rounds near the border with Gaza in southern Israel today
Destruction from Israeli aerial bombardment is seen in Gaza City today
The UK and US governments have given firm backing to Benjamin Netanyahu’s administration in the wake of the incursion by Palestinian terrorists.
READ MORE – Gaza holds its breath as Israel masses its forces on the border ahead of invasion
Mr Cleverly’s visit to Israel comes amid fears that the conflict, which has already claimed at least 2,100 lives on both sides, could escalate further.
The UK Government has not confirmed any figures for those believed dead or missing, pointing to the fast-moving situation in the region.
Among those known to have died is Nathanel Young, 20, who was serving in the Israeli army when he was killed during Hamas’s attack.
Bernard Cowan, who grew up around Glasgow, also died.
Jack Marlowe, 26, who went to the same London school as Mr Young, is believed to be missing, while photographer Dan Darlington is feared dead.
A post from Mr Darlington’s sister Shelley on social media said he was ‘murdered’ at Nir Oz, a kibbutz in southern Israel.
His death has not been officially confirmed.
A mourner reacts while burying the body of a Palestinian child of al-Agha family, who was killed in Israeli strikes, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip today
Source: Read Full Article